Have you ever seen someone giving birth?

Like live in person?

I have never, and after having my son and knowing how messy it can be I don't want to see one either.

My sister on the other hand was 11 when my son was born, she even video taped part of the birth, against my will, pff, anyway. But at 11 she got to see a baby being born. If anything it was great birth control. She is 12 turning 13 now and is very loving to my son, she and him have a very special bond.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have attended one birth. It was incredible. The mother looked more beautiful then than I had ever seen her look before, and witnessing her power and strength was amazing. I was on a high for days afterward, mess be damned it was fantastic! I don't know how you could see a birth and be concerned in the slightest about the mess.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes, I've attended many births.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Domonique, I don't have a problem with bodily fluids, screams, cursing... all the things that happen naturally in labor. Poop, pee, amniotic fluid, burps, farts... we all do these things and they all happen during birth. It's still a miracle and it's still incredible to see. When you're there, in the moment, holding washcloths on mom's forehead and neck, whispering comforting words to her, telling her how fantastic she's doing and then when she pushes out her beautiful baby... there's no high to compare to it. If you know what to expect and don't go into it blind like most labor supporters do then nothing freaks you out. Watching births beforehand on YouTube, etc can be very helpful.

Seeing someone cut might be hard for me. I don't believe in episiotomies except in dire emergencies, tears are less severe and heal better than cuts. But I'm sure as a doula I will see it happen.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes I have it was very interesting gross yes but beautiful at the same time watching the baby coming into this world it has been 26 yrs. ago he is now a grown man and was my nephew by marriage but I am no longer in that family but that is how life goes. But it was a sight to see if you do not have a weak stomache.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Oh Yeah! When I worked in Respiratory at the hospital, we had to be in on all deliveries. Both vaginal and c-sections. They aren't pretty that's for sure. However, none of them bothered me until I had to be there for my own daughters!! Even knowing that I gave birth to her, it's not fun watching your own child give birth.... especially if you know what can and does go wrong in there. Ugh...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes. A few. It's so exciting! When I move I'm going back to school to be a Doula. I want to offer my services to single moms. I was alone when I gave birth and it was very bittersweet. What I would have given for that type of support in the delivery room!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Only on tv and with a few animals. I wanted to be with my cousin when she had her son though but my mom wouldn't let. I wouldn't have any problems with it though.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just my own. I would love to attend someone else's birth someday though... maybe if one of my dds has a baby later on she will let me come in!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Honestly, I think the whole baby business is gross and I had two. I made sure my husband was up by my head when both kids were born. I am not interested in seeing anyone have a kid.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I had to giggle at anon response. =]

No, other than my own.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2011