Can your previous employer

tell a perspective employer that you are not a good employee and talk badly about you when the perspective employer calls to verify your previous employment?

Is it specific to each state? I live in Iowa.

If it is illegal, which DH and other family think it is, what should I do about it?

NessGuinness

Asked by NessGuinness at 11:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• Generally speaking, most employers are allowed to say whether or not they would hire you again, attendance record, and any written disciplinary action.

If what the employer said was untrue, and you have proof, you could hire an attorney and sue them, but you would have to have the company that didn't hire you state that they didn't based on your previous employer's review of you. Honestly, I don't know that they would; most companies wouldn't want to get involved in a lawsuit. IMO, I'd just not use that employer as a reference in the future.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• In NC it is illegal. They can only say if the person is re-hire able or not. You would need proof and once you get it talk to HR and the better business bureau.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I do believe in pa the old employer can only say about your attendance record and can't get negative impressions.
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i agree with first reply
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• In my state, they can verify if you did indeed work there and the dates. I believe they can also ask if you left voluntarily or was fired.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Legally the only thing your previous employer is allowed to tell is the dates your were employed, the rate of pay when you left and they are only allowed to answer yes or no when asked if they would re-hire you. The problem is, in order to sue them because you think they said something negative about you....you have to have proof.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011