A few questions about liberal Christian denominations...

I am wondering - what do most liberal denominations believe about the Bible? Do they view it as divinely inspired but written by man and therefore containing errors? Do any liberal denominations view it as infallible or, conversely, as strictly allegory? What liberal denominations are most likely to accept lgbt people? Are there any particular liberal denominations that would be more likely to have a contemporary, or at least non-liturgical worship style?

kasaloso

Asked by kasaloso at 11:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I won't claim any wide-ranging expertise, since I'm still getting acquainted with the Episcopal Church... but there are openly gay clergy in that denomination.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I am Presbyterian and go to a multi-cultural church. We have racially mixed couples and openly gay members and couples, whom we accept with open arms.

I don't know the answer for sure but I get a sense that we don't take the bible as literally as more conservative denominations. We see that there is a lot of room for interpretation based on history and translations, etc.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't know about denominations as a whole, but I'm a liberal Christian, and I don't see very much of the Bible as literal. In fact, I understand that this trend of literalism is a relatively recent development in the Christian history (the last few centuries, our of millennia). I don't view it as the absolute word of God, but instead as merely a collection of texts written by man that reveal how they understood matters of faith, the Divine, life, humanity, etc. I believe when we read it we have to consider the context of the history, the language, the mentality and tradition, etc, etc. Findings in science and archeology, etc, can help us come closer in understanding what really happened and thus how to understand the texts. Like most Mythos, I do believe there are grains of literal truth in most of the narratives, but I do believe they have been used as vehicles for more transcendent truths, if that makes sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I also don't believe the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin, but instead that its talking about pederasty (the word its most translated from), which means pedophilia, ritual sex, prostitution (especially religious prostitution), and rape. I also don't believe that its talking about sin when it mentions abominations. Levitical law, from what I understand, had more to do with ritual purity than with sin....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• (oh, so obviously I'm a huge supporter of lgbts)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think there's a huge range of diversity within all the different denominations, but I grew up in a Presbyterian Church (USA) church which is very moderate (mainline), and most accept LGBT as clergy, although other more conservative Presbyterian churches may not. Even within conservative churches, sometimes you meet people who have more liberal views than the rest of their congregation. Here's a recent study of which ones are more likely to accept homosexuals. PEW RESEARCH

I know that the Unitarian Universalist church was formed from a merger of two very liberal churches. As with any church, there's a lot of diversity within the congregations, but many view the Bible as allegory, accept LGBTs, etc. It also sounds like Unity Church has some similar views and inclusiveness, but are more specific about how they view divinity.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• B.I.B.L.E..basic instructions before leaving earth??Any herd this?I am surprised to hear some of the comments.Not right in my book.So if the bible is a book written by a man??? Some body needs to do some reading.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• – collapse

Any church that accepts practicing homosexuals is not a church, it's a social club.

Jesus Christ won't be found occupying the building.

You can take that to the bank.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Jesus would absolutely be occupying the building. Who did he spend his time with? Who did he live for and die for? For ALL people. For the homosexuals. For the prostitutes. For the unwed mothers. For EVERYONE.

Or is the Bible lying about that?

saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Just ignore Mustbegrace.

We accept everyone. We also believe the bible is open to interpretation.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011