Could my niece have autism???

My niece is 6 months younger than my daughter but without trying to compare, my niece seems to be in her own world most of the time, you can yell her name a thousand times and she won't even look at you let alone respond, does not speak except for what she hears, she'll repeat it. no interaction or shows any affection, throws tantrums till she hurts herself. she is an only child and if I bring it up to my sister she'll be very upset with me to say the least. as will the rest of my family. she is 3 years old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Health

• Yes, it's possible. It's also possible she has a hearing problem. My grandma first noticed that my cousin was not responding too.. she turned out to be deaf.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes. No matter what is wrong, and something IS wrong, the quicker she gets help, the better the outcome.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my nephew is autistic and early intervention is so important! you can stop it from getting worse and possibly help her to live a normal life if you get help right away. my nephew was diagnosed at 3 and got therapy and is now starting a regular school at 6. we are so proud of him. he didnt walk until almost 2 years, did not speak until after 2 i believe. now he knows everyones names, give hugs and kisses, and is the sweetest little thing. he just needed help showing how he felt. from what i hear it is free to be evaluated, so why not right? if she isnt then you know for sure.
    madismummy

Answer by madismummy at 12:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• she could possibly have a personality disorder which is easily helped with therapy also. there are studies now too with children that have lack of sleep and are linking them to personality disorders. as soon as they get on a healthy sleep regimine, the acting out stops. i hope i helped in some way, it may be hard to tell another mom what you think about her baby's developing, but after a while she may realize that you were right. good luck!
    madismummy