how does it make sense...

when your child drops out of school, it's automatically the parents fault. but yet, they aren't allowed in the doctors office with their 15 year old to decide if she wants birth control or not? but then if they end up pregnant, it's again, the parents fault for not watching their kids? really? anyone care to explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• The government only wants to stick their nose in where it benefits them...that is your answer...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Parents lay the foundation, give them guidance, and teach them values. If those things are lacking (because the parents didn't do those things), then the kids end up doing the things you say. Of course there are exceptions, but that is generally the rule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Bump. Good question and I haven't a clue....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• anon, the parents are supposed be laying the foundations even still at the age of 15. they're still kids! that age is when they need the MOST direction and guidance, not some doctor (or government) to say they can do whatever they want. how can parents lay a good foundation if the government is not letting them?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I know right? I've never understood why in all areas the parents are involved and blamed....but when it comes to sex, birth control, and babies parents should stay out of their kids lives. It's like the proposition that failed to require a parent's signature for an abortion procedure. It's a MEDICAL PROCEDURE and a girl can risk her future fertility and possibly even die without her parents knowing! What has this world come to?

**It's teenagers trying to act like adults and then when they faily or freak out they run home to mommy and daddy. To me; until they are 18 EVERYTHING is your business and doctors should respect that. Especially when you are paying the bills. Besides, this day in age most girls take birth control for acne and regulation. Not always for sex.
    mellynoma

Answer by mellynoma at 12:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Parents need to lay the foundation early. Not at 15. It should already be in place by then. The guidance must continue obviously, but the core values should be ingrained in them from the time they are small.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I am not saying I agree with the government though. Don't get me wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If a child is 16 or older, they can drop out of school if they want to, and th parents can't be to blame. But if they still get in trouble before the age of 18, it usually falls back onto the parents. This is why I think that kids shouldn't be allowed to drop out until the age of 18. At that age, they are legal adults and are responsible for their own actions and we can't protect them anymore.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think the drop out age should be raised. THen you have a bunch of trouble makers in class ruining it for the kids who want to learn. Some kids are just not academics. They need more trade school for high school drop outs, so that they can learn something useful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had to sign a form for our son to stop going to the local public high school and he was 16 so apparently he wasn't considered old enough to make that decision.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011