Sippy cups...

My daughter is 9months & I am trying to start her on sippy cups. I have 3 different kinds & she screams & cries with every one. She is very picky with bottles, & she has no teeth yet. So I have all soft tipped cups, but she is just not havin it. Anyone have any advice or tips? Please & thank you.

navywifey113

Asked by navywifey113 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 18 months and hasn't taken to a sippy cup yet. We've tried easily 25-30 varieties and none.

Btw, soft tipped sippy cups are recommended for kids with and without teeth. Hard tipped are not according to our pedi. They don't allow proper palate development.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My son is 8 months and refuses to use one. I am going to hold off a bit because he just isn't ready. But if you really want her to use it, just keep offering it. Eventually she will try it.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Since you're only trying cups with soft nipples, try one with a hard nipple. You may also try just giving her sips from a regular cup, not a sippy cup. No one says she MUST use a sippy cup before graduating to a "grown-up" cup. My son never liked sippies, he has drank from a regular cup since he was about your daughter's age. Of course I helped at first, and then when he was a little older and had better control, he could do it on his own.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 12:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yeah, my lil sister never went for bottles or sippy cups. Otherwise you can try a little more "grown up" cup with the built in straw and see if they can use that.
    mellynoma

Answer by mellynoma at 12:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• try one with a straw.
    MJKeith99

Answer by MJKeith99 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Try a straw cup. One that she can squeeze a little. Many developmentalists will say to skip the sippy altogether.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My middle daughter would never use a sippy cup. She wanted a grown-up cup, so that's what we used. I bought her a bright pink plastic cup, I think it held 6 ounces, and that is what she used. Obviously, I had to hold it for her at first, but she was so happy with it, and learned to drink very well from it quite quickly. Maybe that's an option for your daughter?
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• what kind of bottle are you using? They usually have a sippy cup similar with each bottle. I use the tommee tippee bottles and my 5month old doesnt even have any prob. with the sippy cups they have b/c the nipple on them are similar but still easy to use.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My second daughter is 8 months and she prefers the straw cups or just a regular open cup.
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 12:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son had major oral issues, so getting him on a sippy was TOUGH. I don't remember which came first, but we had decent success with using a straw cup and a sippy with NO valve. Once they get used to it, you can put the valve back in so you don't get juice all over your house.

Be patient and just keep trying different things. Something will eventually click.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011