Why do schools let our 16 yr olds drop out when....

they aren't even considered an adult yet? We are still responsible for them up to that age no matter what they do. So what's the point? This will give them a better chance of finishing high school.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I actually had a teacher that told me to drop out when I was 16. He knew that the environment I was in wasn't conductive for me. I wasn't being challenged enough, the social system of the other students was problematic for me (to say the least), and I would've had a better chance at success if I had dropped out then, gotten my GED, and started at a technical college, which is what my teacher recommended. I stayed in school because my parents decreed it, but my grades suffered because I was so miserable. I had to repeat several grades. It wasn't a lack of mental ability on my part. By the time I finally dropped out and got my GED, my score that year was one of the highest in the state. I put off college because I felt like such a failure. I'm not saying that I regret my decisions, because it taught me a lot. But high school has become more about socializing that learning anymore and some kids just don't fit.

bradymommy

Answer by bradymommy at 12:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The schools? They can't strap them down. The question should be..why do the parents.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Parents own the house/pay the rent, parents make the rules. Unless my teen were gainfully employed and contributing, dropping out of school would NOT be an option. Early GED to move on with life, yes. No high school diploma or equivalent? NO.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Im sorry, but when did the schools have the authority to let kids drop out..? And when did the schools start taking over for the parents?
    Its it the schools responsibility to make your child go to high school. Its yours. Like you said, you are responsible for them until they are 18, so be responsible. Make your kid go to school, or don't. But stop blaming the school for your inability to make your child stay in school. Your kid, your responsibility.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I responded to this on another question but I will say it again here. Some kids are just not academics. They never will be; by 16 that is apparent. If anything, there should be more trade schools so they can learn a skill and do something useful with their lives. I believe there is a place for everyone in this world. Nobody wants to be in a class with a kid that just doesn't want to be there. It hurts the other students, the teachers, and the kid him/herself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• in the same light, we're pretty much one of the only countries that doesn't consider 16 legal age of consent. Even Canada does it.

I agree, if the kid is not good at school and possibly has a plan in place for success, then I say let him follow that path. Sitting in school failing for the next 2 years isn't going to do much for those kids. And they most likely aren't the ones to succeed in college either. School isn't everyone's destiny or on the path of their personal success in life.

I'm living testiment to that, what good did all that college do for me? Nada dang thing, here I am an unemployed SAHM for the foreseeable future with no marketable skills and by the time I can work again my education and skills and knowledge will be dated.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The schools don't, it's the parents who allow it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Here's is the thing to those that say schools don't parents do......SCHOOLS ALLOW STUDENTS TO DROP OUT AT 16 WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE PARENTS!!

The parents can drop the child off, can try to force them to go to school, but unless the parent is attended classes WITH the child - they cannot force them to enter the school, to attend the courses, etc.

Why 16? Because that is the age that more states allow teens to get jobs. So a 16 year old can get a job, get a GED, go to community college and learn a trade. And parents need to remember that not every child is not meant to go to college. That some are meant to be mechanics, garbage men, etc. Community Colleges/Tech Schools are great for this!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Not here in Virgina....fail to go to school at 16, the police will come to your door.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• This is the responsibility of the parent, not the school
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011