Micoplasma?

Has anyone ever heard of Micoplasma? My son was dx'd w/it 3w ago tomorrow. Sx are trouble breathing, ear infections, cough, runny nose and hives. All Sx are gone now except hives. Dr said they could be there for 2-3 weeks, should I demand further testing?

3lilgems

Asked by 3lilgems at 10:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Hives are an indication of an allergy...could he be allergic to the antibiotics? When did he get the hives. Call the dr...let him know about the hives.
    applemom

Answer by applemom at 7:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• If your son seems otherwise unaffected, except for the hives, and he's acting like his typical self, then it just might be that his body is taking a little longer to clear the infection completely, but I would call the doc to see what they would like you to do or maybe they would like to have a follow-up visit to be sure everything is okay.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• He was first given amoxicillan for the ear infections, was given the first dose of that on wednesday night and thursday morning the hives started. we had an appt that morning to check his breathing anyway. he changed the antibiotic to zithromax that day and he took that for 5 days. that was finished 2 1/2 weeks ago so we don't think its the antibiotic giving him the hives. The doctor is aware of the hives and assures me its normal but hives for 3 weeks solid to me is not normal :( maybe i'm just too much of a worry wart!!!
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 9:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• p.s. i talked to MY doctor today and he said he's never heard of micoplasma giving someone hives :(
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 9:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008