how to write an "outstanding" personal college essay?

My 17 daughter is having the most difficult time writing colleges essay. It's putting alot of stress on her. She already sent out 3 essays to colleges which I personal think they bombed. Those essays blow her chances going into 3 well known colleges. I don't want my daughter to send out anymore bad essay and miss out on going to college.

I find "SEVERAL" websites and videos how to write a college essay, which to me and her seems more confusing.

Please does anyone have any straight answers how to write personal essay to colleges.

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 10:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• The best thing she can do is speak honestly. Theyre not looking for someone that is going to talk down to them and try to sound super smart. They want to hear her voice through her essay. She should be honest about herself and about her achievements as well as her failures. Honesty is a great thing. They like to see a person that has desire to better themselves, after all thats what college is for. The simple things you have to do besides that is proper grammar. I was able to make it into a top college with a simple down to earth essay outlinging everything i listed above. I noticed the people that tried too hard never got into the schools they wanted. Good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Can you get her teacher to proofread it?
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 3:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We've got all of our college applications (of chose) out for the "early action" and every single admission application we did online required an essay. They usually give them a choice; and our son opted for the personal essay because it came from the heart. He spoke of his experiences in life, his goals, and of his accomplishments. I feel that this was a way for the colleges to gain some insight on him as a prospective student and as a person.

Of course, do spell checks and read through it for grammer and sound!

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yes I agree, the personal essay is the way to go...there are no wrong or right answers in that one. As long as it is from the heart and gramatically correct you should be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2008