Which formula brand are you getting through your WIC?

And which would be the best formula? I received 2 free cans of Good Start from Gerber in the mail and was wondering if that's the same one the wic will provide me when my son is born.

YaneLove

Asked by YaneLove at 1:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it varies by state what brand you get. I know that normally you can only get the basic, regular standard formula, unless there's a medical problem. With DD, when I had to switch to formula, the only kind that worked for her was the Similac soy (well, there was one other Similac that worked, but WIC wouldn't cover it even with a specific doctor's recommendation and stuff). Every lactose formula, she spit up really bad and got terrible diarrhea or constipation (we seriously tried everything except the REALLY expensive stuff). Eventually, the soy formula was approved, but it took a lot of fighting and explanations and doctor visits. Anyway, in my state the formula they provide is Similac. I think some do Good Start and some do Enfamil, I think. I'm not 100% certain, but I think I've heard of those 3 being provided in different states.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I believe WIC changes every 6 months or so, when I first got WIC they gave me Similac and later they change it to Enfamil. Unless baby needs special one then you will need doctor's note for them to approve it. GL girl!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 2:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• So would it harm the baby if say I feed him good start and then switch to the brand the wic gives me? I really don't want to waste those 2 cans of good start that was given to me and I highly doubt wic gives good start....I'm not sure for this is my first baby and I'm so new at all this!
    YaneLove

Comment by YaneLove (original poster) at 2:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• WIC is currently using Carnation Good Start. They change every couple of years depending on which formula company has the contract to provide the formula.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• WIC contracts are different in different states. I have a few friends on it, in 2 different states, and they get different kinds. Even with my own kids, the contract wasn't always the same from kid to kid. It all depends who can give them the better deal, how many babies are getting it in each state, etc. Just because someone says they get one kind, doens't mean it's that kind across the US.
    Anonymous

• It won't hurt your baby to switch formulas but they may not like it. When When my son was first born WIC was giving Enfamil and then they switched to Similac. It didn't hurt him, but he wouldn't drink the Similac.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• In my state they curently give similac, however they are giving my grandbaby enfimil because i got her Dr. to sent them a fax saying she was to have enfimil. As far a a baby that spits up all formulas severely, we put my DD and my GDD on 2% milk with karo syrup by 2 months and with a doctors not wic gave me milk for them. It may not affect your little one switching formulas but it very well might.
    Bobbi111

Answer by Bobbi111 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Gerber Good Start Gentle plus or Soy plus
    MamaMindx

Answer by MamaMindx at 1:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2011