If you breastfed...

If you breastfed, how long did you make it for? Did you ever "dry up" and able to replinish?

diandfi

Asked by diandfi at 1:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was only able to BF for 3.5 months. I had planned on 18. I got the Mirena IUD after doing months of research and talking to my OB and DD's pediatrician about it and everything said that it was a great option for BF mothers. I wanted the Paragard, but my OB/GYN won't order it for her patients (she even told me that they no longer make the Paragard!), so I went with the Mirena. Within 2.5 weeks, my milk was almost gone. I spent about $300 on herbs, teas, accessories for BFing, etc. and nothing helped. I ended up having tons of issues out of the Mirena and when it was finally removed, I started trying to lactate again, but it was too late to get DD to latch again (she was about 10 months old by then). I managed to produce milk for a week or two before finally totally giving up, but what I pumped, I added to her cereal. That was the only time she would eat baby cereal. I hate that plastic piece of crap so bad...
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• with my dd, she refused to nurse. my ds nursed for almost 4 months but then i went back to work and had to pump, well after a while he ended up not wanting to nurse at all because he preferred the bottle. i couldn't pump enough, so we had to go to formula eventually ending in me drying up.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I breastfed for 15 months. It was hard initially-- he couldn't latch on. My son was born 3 weeks early, and I don't think he had the flexibility in his mouth to suckle. I ended up getting a nipple shield to help out, and after a month, he was able to nurse without the nipple shield. I also had a forceful letdown, so my poor son would choke on the milk when he nursed sometimes. He ended up gulping lots of air and have bad gas. I finally learned to let him nurse with him on top of me.

I was afraid I wasn't going to produce enough, so I took fenugreek tablets. It worked almost immediately, but it made both my son and me gassy, so I stopped.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had issues with nursing from day one and had to supplement and still do. He is 5 1/2 months. We dont know if I will have these same issue with our next child but atleast I know the symptoms of it now.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• 14 mos with my first and my second is 3 and still nurses at bedtime. I never dried up, it's VERY unusual to just dry up out of nowhere. If you nurse on demand, in most situations, your supply will be just fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I BF'd each of my 6 children. I went for as long as the babies seemed to want to, except with my first. I went for 2 years, and she was perfectly willing to keep going but when she toddled up to me at a shopping center one day and started to beat on my boobies for a snack, we called that one quits. LOL

The others went anywhere from 12-18 months before being entirely cup weaned. I never had any problems with milk supply.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• CLARIFICATION TO PREVIOUS ANSWER: I am currently still BFing my 6th. He's 7 months old now.
    Branwen70

• I breast fed till my daughter was 4months old. wish I had done it longer! I was working full-time and college classes so it was tough keeping up with pumping when I was gone, now that I am a SAHM I am looking forward to having a 2nd child and being able to continue breastfeeding way longer! I didnt have any issues, I was amazed bc I hear about the horror stories! But everything went well and I enjoyed it
    AlliesMommy807

Answer by AlliesMommy807 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I nursed my first for 30 months. I dried up once with him around 3 months. I had a nasty virus and I wasn't eating anything. Woke up one morning with no milk and a hungry baby who wouldn't have anything to do with a bottle. I forced some food into my system and nursed all day and night and the milk was back the next day.

My second is currently 22 months and still nursing. He was just hospitalized for complications from pnuemonia. He had a chest tube in, which was painful for him and it made it impossible to move him or hold him. It was in for 7 days and we kept up on nursing the first few days, then I realized I had thrush and he began to refuse to nurse more and more.... it was difficult anyway, leaning over his hospital crib, I couldn't do it for more than a few minutes. In combination with the stress, I was more or less dried up by day 5ish. I continued to offer, but I knew that scant 5 minute sessions con't...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• wouldn't increase my supply any. The day he got the tube out we nursed frequently and all that night (Which, I do not recommend sleeping in a hospital crib!!!) and since we've been home we're basically back to normal... nursing frequently at night and lots during the day. The milk came back easily when I could hold him and wasn't so stressed out. My period was delayed a week, too, so there was definitely hormonal stuff going on.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2011