Does it seem to you like their are tons of kids...

Receiving occupational therapy, physical, and speech therapy these days? Not to mention whatever else kinda therapy there is.

What do you make of that? Do you think it's really essential in helping these kids, and how many children of parents you know are receiving these types of services?

I'm kinda wondering if perhaps in some cases it's having to be done because the requirements in school these days are so high. What's your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• probably because things are being recognized now and people are getting the children the help they need to succeed. my oldest is in speech therapy, a special reading class at school and has an adjusted spelling list and is already doing so much better. my sister has a learning disorder and had such a hard time because it was always just brushed off and it wasnt until she was in middle school that she got the help she truly needed for the correct disorder. i know that the earlier the better, my 2nd dd had a developmental delay that was recognized by age 1, now she will be 6 next month and you cant even tell. but for us these kinds of things run our family.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I definitely believe that there are a lot more chemicals finding their way into our bodies, than used to be. I also believe the hormones they give chickens to lay more eggs are present in those eggs, the same with the hormones given to animals to make them have more meat, better meat,, etc. I think you are crazy if you don't understand this. That being said, I agree that they are diagnosing more kids with learning disorders now than they ever did. Does that mean there are more? Or just that we are getting new labels to attach to old problems? I also think that there are more kids that just don't know how to behave in a polite society, because Mom and Dad are too wrapped up in their own lives to teach them anything.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i agree, it's unreal...i also like how all kindergarteners that can't sit still or pay attention (talking 5 and 6 year olds) are ADD. whatever, i think it's just a way that schools get more money...they have funding for challenged children, so the more kids you have with some type of disorder the more money the school makes...yes there are true cases out there, but i think these disorders or leaned on way to often. i think it is more like lazy teachers who can't (or don't want to) take the time to work with or control their students, especially with the class sizes and student/ teacher ratio. IMO, help the kids learn and grow, don't just lean on these over used disorders.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• for some reason alot more kids these days really DO need these type of therapies. ever see all those commercials about 1 in ever so many kids has autism?? & its higher than ever & rising. My son has mild autism, & back in the day i didnt even know what autism was nor did i know anyone who had it. now at his regular general ed school, there are at least 2 kids per classroom with autism in the whole elementary. mid u this elem school is the most recognized around for informing the students on what autism is, & helping more assigning buddies & having a sensory room for the children with autism. but we are just a regular small town so i can imagine a big city!!! i say the way the world is, with processed food with unsafe additives, & poor diets, & bad unsafe ingredients in lotions & shammpoos, etc etc. u cant avoid it. theres something bad about almost everything we use or consume. its no wonder this is catching up 2 us. :(
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

•  i say the way the world is, with processed food with unsafe additives, & poor diets, & bad unsafe ingredients in lotions & shammpoos, etc etc. u cant avoid it. theres something bad about almost everything we use or consume.

eye rolling

i love how that's everyone's excuse! 

nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• hellokitty1978, i'm not doubting that your kid has autism, don't get me wrong i'm not bagging on you. but i think what you said about the processed food ect is a load of crap, that's what the gov. wants everyone to think. this whole world is being brainwashed with this liberal hippy garbage. whatever, yes, some kids do need these treatments, but the majority really don't. the class sizes contribute greatly to this "disorder" and the lack of time to spend with each child.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2011