How can I get my 6 weeks old twins to open their mouths to nurse

I have 6 wk old twin girls. They are on exactly the same schedule and usually wake up within a minute or two of each other, even when they're in separate rooms. So my only choice for feeding them is to tandem nurse.

I dont have a problem with this, its my first choice. My problem is, they're only getting the very tip of my nipple in their mouths lately and now both of my nipples are badly bruised.

When I do get the girls to latch, they seem to suck 2 or 3 times and then push the nipple-all but the tip!- out. What usually happens though is they get so excited to eat that they start sucking on their tongues and then i can't get my nipple in their mouths.

They both do this and it's incredibly frustrating because then they scream because they're hungry. They are both very good at nursing normally....is this possible a growth spurt type of thing?...forgetting how to nurse/latch on correctly?

HOW CAN I GET THEM TO OPEN THEIR MOUTHS WIDE?

Oh, and I've also tried running my nipple along their lips, top, bottom, cheeks, chin.... :/

twinsmom12110

Asked by twinsmom12110 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't try the bottle just because baby isn't opening up wide enough, that will just confuse them, especially if you're having trouble getting them to open wide enough. What horrible advice.
    Go to the Breastfeeding Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/325
    They answer incredibly fast and are always 100% accurate. They are responsible for my 18 month breastfeeding relationship with my son.

I would have to take my thumb and force his little chin open more. Then you align your nipple with babys nose and make sure you're coming from the top, not the bottom or straight in (if that makes sense). VERY fast, shove it in as far as it will go. I had to practice doing that to my son for a few days before he finally got it.
    Good luck Mama! Hope to see you in the breastfeeding group ^__^

Kudos to you for nursing twins! Way to go Mama!!
    Mrs.J.

Answer by Mrs.J. at 2:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Well if you breast feed there are two things you can do first place your baby in the football position which is laying the baby with its feet to your back and cradling his head softly in front of your chest and letting him smell the milk and gently tickle his chin hell open in no time to nurse k if not you can try the bottle
    teaona

Answer by teaona at 2:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011