The teacher for another class has asked me for help. She asked if I could make them for her class, reluctantly I said that if she really wanted I could make a batch for her class. Then she says no we are planning on having you show the kids how to MAKE the cupcakes and ice and decorate them! I REALLY dont want to do this, how do I tell her I am not interested in doing this for her class?

so my daughter is in pre-school, the teacher for the adjoining class has asked me for help before. Today that same teacher- who is NOT the teacher for my kids class- said she'd heard I was a good baker, since ive made cupcakes for my kids class. She asked if I could make them for her class reluctantly I said that if she really wanted I could make a batch for her class. Then she says No were planning on having you come with our class and go over to the cafeteria where you will show the kids how to MAKE the cupcakes and ice and decorate them! I REALLY dont want to do this, how do I tell this woman I am not interested in doing all these things for her class? She hasnt gotten the hint, instructions are on the box for cake mix so I dont see why she needs ME, and my kids not in her class. I dont even let my kid do that stuff in my own kitchen, I cant imagine teaching 20 kids who arent my own to do all that!HELP!

C_Oldham

Asked by C_Oldham at 10:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just let her know that you are willing to make the cupcakes and bring them in but at that age it's not something you are willing to do. I mean seriously that's alot of kids to teach how to decorate, and they're going to decorate them how they want so it will just be huge mess. Rambling sorry you probably realized all that already. maybe give her instructions on a paper so she can teach her class herself.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 10:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If I had already said yes, then I would just tell her that I will bring enough un-iced cupcakes for the class and bring the toppings. I am assuming she just wanted the kids to decorate them. If she doesn't specify, then just act as though that was what you assumed to happen. Then bring the stuff and get through it. If you have nothing too important to do for that day, I dont think it would take more than an hour of your time. (besides baking the cupcakes)
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Tell her exactly what you said about not allowing your own children to bake at home. You are not a doormat! :P
    CarynZ

Answer by CarynZ at 12:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Yes, she actually said she wants to bake the cupcakes too. :-/ The most odd thing to me though, is that shes not even my kids teacher! Im starting to dread my Class Mom days because she tries to ask me to do things for her class. I cant understand what the teacher does if she herself isnt doing much of the teaching, she asked me to illustrate a story she was telling HER class, but i think if u decide to tell ur class a story you should think of it ahead of time and plan appropriately, I told her the best I would do is look it up and see of someone had put illustrations online and print them for her, nobody did and I told her so, now its the cupcakes..... I tell her no, and she keeps going on and on as if Ive said yes......
    C_Oldham

Answer by C_Oldham at 3:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Wow. I don't think I would ever, if I was a teacher, expect a parent from someone else's class to supply cupcakes, snacks, or goodies to my classroom. I'm astounded she asked in the first place. Girl, you need to not be a door mat. When you don't want to do something - don't. Even when it is your child's teacher and you don't feel like, don't want to, don't have the time or whatever. Say no. When you want to do something then say yes. If this was me I would either call the teacher or in person explain that unfortunately, after looking at my schedule, I just don't have the time. I would apologize for not realizing that I had other plans and then I would leave it at that. Oh, but I would give her the reciepe and tell her it is real easy to make if she wants to share it with her class.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• OK, I guess I am the minority here, but if you have nothing else to do...What is the big deal in helping out? If you are buying the products yourself, you have the control to tell the teacher how you want things done. You can always just say no next time, but showing your child that helping out. a teacher..even when it isn't in her class, is showing her great volunteerism and character. JMO, but your perspective could be better.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Ask her, "Wow, so how's the parent support in your class?" She might open up about a lot of issues she has. If you do have the time at least now you understand what the teacher is experiencing.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 4:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008