i wonder is my 1st child going to be jealous once my newborn arrive?

poohbear18282

Asked by poohbear18282 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 2.5 yr old and a 6 month old and my 2 yr old loves her baby brother and rarely gets jealous but it does happen it is normal on occasion
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i hope hes the same way my son is 13 months tho
    poohbear18282

Comment by poohbear18282 (original poster) at 3:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wonder the same thin g but mine is 7 so she's had a while to be an only child
    mandasue0678

Answer by mandasue0678 at 3:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• ooo she might be because of tha age difference
    poohbear18282

Comment by poohbear18282 (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• None of my kids have been jealous of the baby. Ours are all close in age. Talk to her about thehow baby and how exciting it will be to be a big sister!! Talk about how she can help get the babies diaper for you, help hold her (we let all our little ones hold the new baby with help). Talk about all the good stuff!! (I hear some parents preparing their kids by saying - I won't be able to hold you or spend as much time with you because of the new baby) Stay away from mentioning the negative stuff. They don't need a reason to be jealous!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Give him a lot of one on one time when the baby comes home. Along with the above ideas make it about him for a few weeks. That is some of the best advice I got as a young mom. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Might and if he/she is just make sure you make time to let them know they are still your little sunshine and everything :).
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Actually your first child may be jealous of the newborn when you start buying anything for the baby or any gifts are received for the baby if something additional isn't given for your first child. When my Mom brought presents for the newborn, she always remembered to get for her first grandchild as well to keep the harmony. Children are very attuned to what's going on around them and you want them not to feel left out with the arrival of a new baby. It just makes taking care of them much harder to do if they are upset.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• YES my boys are 4 years apart. The oldest never wants to spend time with the 9 year old.
    laura67-boo

Answer by laura67-boo at 4:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It really depends. My oldest is jealous of number 2. They are 8 years apart. He is not jealous of number 3 - 10 years apart. Number 2 is not jealous of number 3 - 2 1/2 years apart. She thinks she is his mother, but also his best friend. They have an amazing relationship.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011