Lead poisoning?

I son has some "strange" behaviors according to my mother. (he is my first so I guess I don't know what is normal and what is not) He has temper tantrums all throughout the day, which I assume is normal. He wakes in the night screaming and freaking out and is inconsolable...... He has obsessions with specific types of toys. He will line them up or arrange them a certain way and then not touch them again, if you knock them over there is hell to pay, yep another tantrum. ANYWAY, because of these things my mom said he might have lead poisoning or some developmental disorder. Anyone who can give insight to this please enlighten me. I am lost here. I have no idea if these things are normal or not. By the way, he is almost 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If u want anon there is this website u can go to that have lead testing kits and the price is very in expensive. Anyway, here is the addy leadinspector.com. I sure this will set your mind at ease.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Has he had Irritability or aggressiveness? Been hyper? Any learning problems? Does he have any interest in playing with his toys? Has he been eating ok? Those would be the symptoms of lead poisoning. Do u a old house, like made in the 70's or 80's? Not postive when they stopped using lead based paint. As for the nightmares, my daughter has them often and she seems no worse for wear. But if he is having a night terror, screaming, it will look like he is up but he isn't and has no idea u are there, so do not wake him up during these just talk to him softly and reassure him its all right Some of the symptoms for these are increased heart rate, or breathing he might even sweat. I read that this will most often occur in the 1st 90 min of him falling asleep.They don't remember anything the next morning. As the obsessions, it does sound like early OCD. My sister 6 yr old does the same thing, and does it with his food too.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Talk over everything you have said here with his doctor. it is not all normal.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• That behavior is not normal. I am a preschool teacher and have had some children that have behavior issues (not major, just a little tweaking and they're set) and then i have dealt with 2 specific children that had developmental issues. You can get him tested, and get therapy if needed. Alot of cities have free programs and if you talk to your doctor they can let you know more. If he does have something going on,(and i'm not a doctor etc...) it can normally be corrected while he's young.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I thought he might be having night terrors but I have pretty much ruled that out. He is physically attacking me and it lasts for 5-10 minutes at a time. It's also usually around 3-4 in the morning.
    Also, we do not live in an old house, but he had a really bad habit of eating dirt from our driveway. So much so that I had to take him to the doctor because he was pooping sand. I had his stool tested and it came back okay. No parasites, but I have read that they can get lead poisoning from eating dirt in a driveway. I had no idea at the time. The doctor seemed to blow me off and say it was normal. I had to stop going outside at all for the entire summer unless I had another adult to help me watch him. I am so afraid it could be lead poison or some developmental issues.
    My husband suffers from OCD. I am afraid it must be genetic since my husband works out of town 90% of the time it cannot be learned behaviors. Im really worried
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Talk to your pediatrician moms do not know everything. I know we have 5 grands and once what was is now not so. Bring it to us here at CM and to your doctor.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011