When do you let your children know that Daddy is not living with us anymore?

My daughter is almost 4 years old and she is daddy's little girl and I have a 2 year old boy. My husband and I are going to start the process of divorce and he is going to stay at the house until the end of the month and I'm not sure when it is the best time to let her know that daddy is not living with us anymore and how should I say it?

Thanks

bratgirln1

Asked by bratgirln1 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd start talking to her about it now. If she knows what's going on, and it's being discussed with her openly, it will help the process to seem less scary for her. Make sure you have a plan together before you talk to her; when she will see her dad, where he will live, etc. so you can answer her questions.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i agree with scuba
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I also agree with scuba, I am sorry you are going through this. My dd's father walked out when I was pregnant so he was never around. I never had to answer those questions because by the time my dd was old enough to ask them, my fiance was around,
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I am so sorry you are having this kind of issue in your life. I think you should talk to your soon-to-be-ex, and the two of you need to be grown-up enough to tell her together. If your husband can't look at her and tell her, you should get another adult (that u trust and are good friends with (and that your daughter knows and trusts) to talk to her about this, along with you. Kids are resilient these days. Just let her know that you both love her, even if daddy doesn't live there anymore. I can totally empathize with you and you and your family will be in my prayers.
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2011