i have never had an abortion;;; but i have talked to women who have and they told me it haunts them and they haven't forgiven themselves, they have bad dreams etc; is that true? u can answer anon for this question.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Statistically-speaking, most women feel a sense of RELIEF, not guilt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Please do not ever have an abortion. I did when I was sixteen years old. Now I am thirty-two with two kids, and I still regret it. A different option is to give the baby up for adoption. I have a friend who is involved in an "open adoption" and she has a lot less grief than I feel EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE!
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 11:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• yes, it is true for some ladies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had one years ago and it doesn't haunt me. It was the best decision for my life and my circumstances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i had one when i was 19 and as i look back now and realize that it was for the best bc of my age and the guy i was with its still a hard thing to do but sometimes it is an option that is best for most women who need to do it
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had one 5 years ago, and it was the best decision i ever made. I was not in a good place to be having a child, or carrying one. I was not able to put the baby's needs before mine, and i made the decision to do it. And honestly, i don't feel anything negative about it, never have. I don't think i would do it again, but it was the right decision for me at the time.
    And no, i don't have nightmares, or feel any sense of guilt about it.
    Anonymous

• I think it varies wildly by woman and their circumstances. I've never had one. My husband's niece confessed to me that when she was 13 she got pregnant and her parents forced her to have one and she never got over it (she's in her 20s now with 3 kids).
    Not the same but...I hear people all the time talk about how their miscarriages hurt them emotionally and they can't get past the baby they lost...still have that baby listed on their kids' page, etc. Just very emotionally attached to the event. I miscarried at 12 weeks and felt none of that. If anything I felt relief. So everyone deals with things differently.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have heard it is true for some women, and some do feel relief.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011