HEY I'M TALKING TO YOU!!! (*Sigh* I have angered another parent)

So dh had to leave to go back to work today. We have a routine for dh's last couple hours home. I make a nice breakfast, we go out and hang if the weathers good. If its not we do something indoors. Then we go to our favorite restaurant and have dinner.

Tonight ladies we're eating and laughing and having "a grand ole time" when I suddenly feel the urge to make lemonade <~~~~ u get that right? LoL  So I have to walk around the front part of the restaurant to get to the restroom. Anyway on my way there is a little girl running circles (I think she was about 3). She knocked into people. Going up to peoples tables and sticking her tongue out...just all over the place. Mommy and daddy keep looking dead at her but are not stopping her. People are clearly bothered by it. But whatever.   

All of a sudden the little girl runs up to me and blows a raspberry. I laughed it off. As I am walking foward she is still in front of me walking backwards, so that she is facing me.  All of a sudden I see her begin to trip and I grab her hand so she doesn't fall on her butt. She looks at me cries and runs back to mommy and daddy. I made nothing of it and went to do my business. 

When I came out however and began walking to my table, I heard, "HEY YOU!!"   I turn around and there is the little girls moms. The mom's words will be in red and horrible me, in blue

"WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET OFF PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON MY DAUGHTER?! I SHOULD HAVE YOU ARRESTED!"

Arrested? For keeping your daughter from falling on her butt? Okay lady go for it. 

You Don't touch her! I mean really! Deal with your own fucking kids and I will deal with mine!

Okay lady whatever, if your done....

Fuck NO i'm not done. I called the manager over. I want you kicked out. 

Ha! I think you've been knocking back one too many

Stupid Bitch. 

Look your daughter was getting pretty rowdy here and all I did was help her when she was about to fall. It's your job to watch her, not everyone elses

Stupid black bitch. 

It went on like that for another 5 minutes. The manager came over and asked her to leave. She called me an "uneducated stupid black bitch" a few more times before leaving. 

But I guess my question to you all is this? Am I wrong to have helped her daughter? Would you have helped her? Would you be mad if someone stopped your kid from falling on their butt? Should I have slapped her? LoL j/k

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 4:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would not have been mad at you for grabbing my sons arm to keep him from falling, but I wouldnt let my kid run around like a mad man like that either. Sorry she was such a b*tch to you
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Were you wrong to help the little girl? NO! Would I have helped? YES! Would I be mad if someone stopped my kid from falling? NO! Should you have slapped her? No, lol. You did the right thing. This mother sounds completely ignorant! One of my biggest issues with kids is seeing them running around in resturants. That is one place I think kids need to be well behaved. It is one thing if you are in a store, annoying? Yes, but whatever. My hope is that this women did not see what happened and just saw the end where you were touching the girl and she was crying. But seeing as what her last words were, I doubt it! Ignorance!!!!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think you acted automatically. What I mean is I think it was instinctual for you to keep the little girl from falling. What you did was a very motherly thing to do and protect the young by instincts.
    And you were very intelligent in your answers to that mother.
    You did nothing wrong.

That mother is the one who is stupid and no you should not have punched the stupid mother lol. You did good keeping your cool.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had a similar situation on the playground. A toddler no more than 18 months was playing at the bottom of the tunnel slide as I notice this much bigger child starting to go down the slide all I could see was this baby being kicked in the face. I didn't see a mom around and my first instinct was to move the baby so she didn't get hurt. So I did and as soon as I picked up the child (only under the arms to move her) I hear "Hey! what are you doing?". At that moment the bigger child made it to the bottom of the slide and the mom then saw what I was doing. I apologised and told her it was my mommy instinct and she laughed and thanked me.  So your mommy instinct kicked in and you only wanted to protect the child.  It takes a village to raise a child, it just sucks when the village idiot stats spawning.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• no good deed goes unpunished. Ask em to look at the store security camera if they want to. I'm sure that presented as evidence to a Court would make them look rather stupid.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You were not wrong. The only thing I think that could have possibly been done better on your part would have been to refuse to talk to her and go get the manager yourself. Other than that - I think you handled it perfectly.

As far as the kid being out of control, running around, etc - honestly, I'm thinking no wonder the mom didn't feel the need to have control over their kid - she didn't even have control over herself...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There are just some ignorant people in this world. She should have been watching her kid as well as the restaurant should of stepped in and told her to tend to her kid. I think she is one of those parents who allow their kids to do whatever they want and gives into them all the time. I don't think it would have matter that you help the little girl or not, she would of went crying to her mother either way just because she was embarrassed. The mother would be mad at you rather you let her fall or helped her as she sounds like one of those stuck up b****. This just goes to show some people should not drink as they can not handle it and if she had not been drinking then you should have just punched her and put her in her place. I'm sure the whole place would have been cheering.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 5:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Oh - one other thought - look at it this way, if you had NOT grabbed her and kept her from falling, she would have fallen, maybe gotten hurt, maybe not, but, from the sounds of it, either way she would have gone running back to her parents crying and everything (just like she did when you kept her from falling). Then they would have been freaking out over how "you knocked their little girl down"....

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You did exactly the right thing. I'm going to guess that this is the same scenario that plays out a lot for that family; kid is running around and they get glares/maybe comments from other diners. That woman is obviously trash, who does that in a restaurant? Who lets their kid run around in a restaurant for that matter? I'm glad that the manager kicked her out, and I'm so sorry she was so rude to you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would have done the same thing and think you handled it perfectly!! What a racists BI***!! Sorry you had to deal with such a trashy loser!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2011