sweet sixteen out of control

What do you moms with girls think of super sweet sixteens in ny they are out of control

we planned a small hall party with dress and dj photo but feel its snowballing how to stop it
They should oulaw the show. All the little things keep adding up Cant wait for it to get here already.
anybody been there?

suesues

Asked by suesues at 7:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have had two that went through the "sweet sixteen" ritual. I let them decide what they wanted to do and then worked with them to achieve it. Luckily they did not have delusions of grandure. The first wanted to go bowling with a few friends and the second wanted to go to the movies with a couple of friends. I guess the way they were raised up to that point had a big influence. I did not spoil them with everything they wanted like the girls on that show.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 8:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I watched that show once & was so disgusted by the outrageous behavior of those spoiled brats that I vowed to never watch it again. If I could've reached thru the screen & slapped them I would have! It's ridiculous to spend so much time, effort & $$ on a B-day party. (Save it for the wedding- that is assuming someone wants to marry such a spoiled, high maintenace brat!) I will not be held up to those type of standards. My kids know bettter anyway, & are happy w/ the B-day celebrations we do for them.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Nope, I don't overindulge my child to impress others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My daughter is only 13, so I don't what she will want to do. I think the big parties are more common in certain areas.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If my teens felt entitled to that kind of party for their sweet 16, their 21st, or even their wedding for that matter, I'd wonder where my parenting went wrong. My daughter was disgusted by the girls on that show.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2011