How do you handle a conversation in which a family member is talking about religion like it's fact?

My one aunt has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and my other aunt (her sister) has proudly identified herself as her sister's "prayer warrior." She told me this dude was praying over her, speaking in tongues, etc. And she is SURE the cancer is going to go away. She even said to me, "What? You don't believe it's possible?" My question to you ladies is... HTF do you respond to that?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 8:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess you could just play along to make her happy. Whats the harm, she's old enough at this point to know what she beleives or not. I agree with you, but whats the point of having an argument with her about it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I'd say something like "faith is a powerful thing" and leave it at that. When there is terminal illness involved, people say things like this - I figure it's not the time to tell them how it's just not going to make the ill person get better.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• im with scuba
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• sleep

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• To those that believe, it is fact. It is not up to you to attack it. Her sister is dying leave her alone. To do otherwise would be cruel and useless.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i'd say hallelujah and pray for her!

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You respect her belief, by saying so. However, in a kind, polite way you express yours and agree to disagree. Then, finish up the conversation on a good note, as Scuba has stated, "faith is a powerful thing."
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would do whatever my aunt ( the one with cancer) wanted. If she was okay with it then I would be also. If it upset my aunt who is already sick, I'd ask my other aunt to stop.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would not argue. They are entitled to believe whatever they want, just as you are. Give them peace....
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't argue with her. I think when a person is sick, they should hang on to whatever beliefs will help them through whether I agree with them or not.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011