Do you HAVE to have a starch with dinner?

My husband thinks that whenever I have dishes like meat loaf, chicken, etc., I HAVE to serve a starch with it--like rolls, rice, potatoes, etc. I don't see why I have to. Is he right, or am I right?

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 9:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No you don't have to. Starches are a comfort food though, so I guess some people just prefer to always have them. You are right!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You don't HAVE to have a starch, just like you don't HAVE to have a meat, but I want both in my dinner.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There is no law written saying you do, but many people prefer it. Quite often we have no starch with our dinner. Just last night we had beef stew with no potatoes (carrots are a little starchy though) because I had none in the house and I did not add any bread or rolls or anything to the meal. So neither of you is right as this is a preference thing and his preference obviously is to have one.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, you don't have to, but if he requests it, I'd probably make it for him. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It is probably how is Mom did it. And we know how important Moms are. So if he accepts Rolls as the starch, just keep some on hand and include it when you do not have another starch in the meal. We as women and peace makers and preservers have to learn not to make a big deal out of things that are not really that important.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Rolls are a carb not a starch. That is the way he likes it I guess. Tell him, I cook, you get what I cook. If you cook, you cook what you want.

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• LOL Louise2--my hubby DOES cook sometimes, and he's cooked a starch before when I haven't. :-)
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No you don't have to have anything with your meal there is no requirement anywhere that says that. There are recommended guidelines to how much of each you should have in a week though.There is no right or wrong answer just feed the man some starch if he wants it
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• my husband is the same way there has to be a meat and a starch..he could care less about the veggies... lol i dont think hes right i dont think theres wrong with for example a piece of chicken and some kind of veg.. but most men are crazy lolol
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, as long as the dinner is balanced you don't have to have a starch. There are lots of times when I'll cook a meat and two veggies, it just depends on my mood. :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2011