I am looking for a therapist or a therapy group for my daughter who seems to be depressed.

We live in Montgomery County, Maryland. My daughter has fun a school, but comes home and doesn't want to do anything, but watch TV. It is a big fight to pry her away and when we go out she seems so unhappy. I can't get involved with anything. She has taken one session of piano, dance, running, etc and never wants to continue. She is 10 years and I think it is time for therapy.

youngkp

Asked by youngkp at 9:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Good for you for recognizing your daughters needs! As a teen that was depressed, I wish my parents had done what you're doing...
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Call your insurance Co to get a referral to a therapist or group. Some local Behavioral centers may be able to help too. At least you are getting her out there to try new things. Maybe she just hasnt found her niche yet. But if you feel it's more than that, then take her to a professional. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Can't hurt. Do you have insurance? If so look up on your insurance website to find a Dr. in your area or ask the HR people at work if that's where it is from. Otherwise just look in the phone book till you find someone who specializes in children
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Ask her pediatrician for referrals and also look at the county website for the public health dpeartment
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2011