Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you deal with a boss?

My boss is some what lazy and doesn't want to take responsibilty for things. I am considered her assistant which just means I have to take the blame for everything that goes wrong and do the work that she won't do. How can I tell her I no longer want to be her assistant and still keep my job. There are only three of us in the department ( a grocery store bakery ) and the other one doesn't want the assistant position either.


Asked by pennycandy at 9:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 14 (1,644 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Is there an HR person you can talk to? You said you are considered her assistant. Are you her actual assistant? Is it in your job duties, title, pay grade, ect? If not, you need to get things straightened out.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • If you want to demote your self. You probably will need to go look for a different job.


    Answer by louise2 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • Can you go to her boss and tell them what's going on? If not I agree you might have to look for another job. Some bosses think that's what they have workers under them for to do all the work not all of us are like that.

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • It isn't really a demotion. Everyone thought that I would just fill the spot as assistant because I have the most years in. We all basically do the same work except for the boss who has paper work to do.

    Comment by pennycandy (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • Am I hearing this correctly? You want your job or at least the benefits (pay check), but you do not want to do it. She is the boss, she decides what the job entails. If you don't like it you can go out and find another one. Many people complain that their employers won't allow them to take on responsibility.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 9:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • If you do not have a oficial Assistance cook title. Then I would just have a meeting with all the boses about your job title.

    Answer by louise2 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • I would ask for a raise and an official job title.

    Answer by dancinintherain at 9:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • tootoobusy- I love my job! I have been a cake decorator for 16 years at this grocery store. Over the past four years with a new boss, I have been doing her job because she went on two maternity leaves and just expected me to keep doing her job when she came back. I just want to go back to doing the cakes and think that the baker should do the baking and the boss should do the managment stuff.

    Comment by pennycandy (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • Is there a store manager that you can talk to? I would want to straighten out exactly what your job duties are supposed to be. It's one thing to do her work because she's not there, but if she's there than she needs to be the one doing it.

    Answer by slw123 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

  • Tell her I enjoy my job of just making cakes and could care less about paperwork. I think you consider hiring for assistance in your absence because I don’t want to do paperwork. In having that conversation you run the risk of loosing your job so I think I start looking for another job if you have that conversation. Some boss sure take advantage of their employees.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011