Has anyone been told their baby is small and then had a big baby?

I'm 37 wks today with a little boy. Throughout the pregnancy there have been concerns over his development which have all disappeared now thankfully, but im still being told he's "petite" or "a little on the small side" at 34 wks he weighed approx 4lbs 9oz which I thought was reasonable!

I have been having contractions most nights since 3rd January, and whilst they haven't yet come to anything, they are definatley not BH. I feel like he could arrive soon but im so scared he'll be small and tiny...so want to keep him in there until 38-39 wks at least!

Does anyone have a story to share?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 9:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was the opposite. They predicted that she would be 2 lbs bigger than she was. They induced and she ended up being 7.5. Keep in mind that the ultrasounds are a guestimate on the due date and can be off by 2 weeks. They can also be off on the measurements.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• This is my 4th baby so I am aware of the unreliability of ultrasounds etc...but i've been told the same thing throughout the pregnancy since about 13 wks when we first began to have difficulties. So its imprinted in my brain!
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• it is strange how much they can do with pregnancy but still not good at predicting weight
    i had daughter at 37 weeks, c section planned, and had to have early because of placenta previa
    anyway, worried she would be too small
    she was 6 pds 3 oz
    pretty good size for 37weeks one days
    doctor had thought she would be smuch smaller,
    had to have shots in my bottom to help develop her lungs
    lungs were fully developed
    one hour under lamp-slight jaundice
    not was it, she was fine

all the wonderful things modern medicine can do, still guess work when comes to size

good helth, good luck to you and your baby
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I was told my son would be about 7 pounds, and he was 9. At my ultrasound with this baby (due April 16th) they warned me she is probably going to be big, she is already 2 pounds!
    ARast

Answer by ARast at 9:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011