Was anyone here told their baby was small...and then they arrived quite big?

I'm 37 wks today with a little boy. Throughout the pregnancy there have been concerns over his development which have all disappeared now thankfully, but im still being told he's "petite" or "a little on the small side" at 34 wks he weighed approx 4lbs 9oz which I thought was reasonable!

I have been having contractions most nights since 3rd January, and whilst they haven't yet come to anything, they are definatley not BH. I feel like he could arrive soon but im so scared he'll be small and tiny...so want to keep him in there until 38-39 wks at least!

Does anyone have a story to share?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 9:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my dr told me that my daughter was going to be about 7lbs and turned out 9.6lbs. He did not dertermine that by an ultrasound though, and even if he did I don't think ultrasounds can pin point and exact weight. I know other people that have had perfectly healthy small babies.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had the opposite problem. My doctor predicted my son to be over 8 pounds. He was 7lbs 6ozs and lost a full pound going home. We had been given boxes of clothes from people and had given back all the preemie clothes not thinking we'd need them. We started scrambling for clothes, lol. He filled out fast though.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had the opposite problem they told me my first son was going to be at least 9 -10 lbs and that Id probably need a section. He ended up being 7lbs 1 oz. They cant always tell with the ultrasound as long as youre full term he should be alright. Good LUCK!
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• They thought my son was big because I was measuring big. They had me have another ultra sound to check. Turned out that he was extra small (they said) and I had extra fluid. He came at 35 weeks and was 4lbs 12oz. With my next two babies they told me they were going to be small, 6lbs or right under. They were both 7lbs 8oz.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yes, I was told my son would be 6 lbs and he ended up being 8 lb 5 oz. His head was HUGE!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I was told my little man would be about 4 lbs 11 oz at 35 weeks. He was born at 36 weeks and was 5 lbs 10 oz and was beautifully healthy.
    My sister was old her little girl would be around 5lbs, 5 oz. and the doctor gave the go ahead for her to try vaginal delivery (due to they way my sister is built body wise, the size of the baby would depend on whether she could do vaginal or not). Anyway, the baby wound up being 7lbs! The doctor said if he had realized that baby was that big, he never would have let her try the vaginal delivery.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• answered in your other question
    but again
    had baby at 37 weeks one day
    told she would be small, guess 4pds something oz
    she was 6 pds plus ozs
    and she was fine

i did have 2 days of shoys in my bottom before c section birth to help develop her lungs- which were fully developed
    37 weeks can be just fine- hope your s goes smoothly

good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• ps
    since c section was in hospital for three days
    she GAINED weight in hospital!
    and took to breast feeding like a pro
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• if he was around 4 lbs at 34 weeks that sounds okay to me too. generally at 36 weeks they gain a pound a week, so even if he stayed roughly 4 lbs to 36 weeks, he'd be roughly 8 lbs if you went to your due date. but again, ultrasound measurements aren't always accurate and half the time they're wrong. they had my due date incorrect my entire second pregnancy, my measurements were off by 3 weeks early. when it came time to be induced, they thought i was only a week late but really i was 3. they did an ultrasound the day of induction and estimated her to be 8 pounds. she came out weighing 10.2! my midwife was shocked and she said when her patients start asking her how big she thinks their baby is she was going to start telling them she didn't know LOL after being so wrong with me. because of the miscalculations i had to have a cesarean and always will from now on.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• With my first I was told he was a good size 6-7 lbs baby, by 3 different drs (well, two OBs and a NP). He arrived here weighing 8 lbs 9 oz, had shoulder dystocia, ended up spending 3 days in the NICU relating to complications resulting from his size, and the delivering OB told me afterward "if I'd had any idea he was that big, we would have done a c-section"

Answer by missanc at 10:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2011