IUD?

Hello lovely mommies! I am on my 3rd and thankfully last pregnancy. We are finally having a girl after 2 boys and are happy to be completing our family. My dh is refusing to do a vasectomy and I dont really want to be taking the pill for the rest of my life ( Im only 26) I was considering having the IUD like Mirena for instance done and I know most will recommend talking to my ob/gyn about it but I want some opinions from mommies who have used it or know someone who is using it, etc. Like what are the side effects.. are there any ? did you love it .. hate it ? I have some time before I give birth but I am just trying to explore all my options..

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Health

• I got the mirena IUD in May 2010 after we had our 3rd DD (all girls). So far I like it the only downside is my period is crazy all over the place. for instance I bled for the first 6 weeks after i had it put in and then the next 3 months i didnt have a period and then i had one period and now i havent had one since. LOL I keep thinking that I am preggo.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have had mirena for almost 4 years. I have had very few problems with it. The problems I do have: my skin is a bit more unruly than it once was, ie: more breakouts. But it's not so bad that it's unmanageable. I tend to cramp a bit after my periods (but never during, go figure). That's about it. The positives: my periods have become incredibly light, and very short. I don't have to worry about remembering to take the pill every day, which I'm horrible about. And it's reversible. I'm actually going next week to get it removed so we can try for another.
    That being said, every woman's body is different. For every positive story like mine, I've read at least one story where the woman has had horrid experiences.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have had Mirena for about 8 months...Negatives, some mild cramping, for about 4 months i felt really sick like morning sickness and other pregnancy symptoms but they have gone away since around the 6th month of having it (it got to the point that I almost had it taken out because of it though), my skin is a little crazy...sometimes dry,sometimes oily, sometimes I break out. Positives, lighter periods and 5 years of worry free birth control, As long as the sick feeling stays away I like it...but every woman is different and I am particularly sensitive to hormones in birthcontrol...that being said had I known about Paraguard before I had Mirena placed I would have looked into it more since that one is up to 10 years and hormone free.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have the Mirena IUD and the only side effect I've had is constant spotting. I haven't really had a normal period ever since I got it, but it is a lot lighter.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I've been doing Mirena ever since 2003 a few months after my son was born & i really love it! The only major side effects with me are headaches that can be bad at times but i can tolerate it. I just love the convience of 5 yrs of not having to think about taking pills every day.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• omg that would freak me out to think im preg all the time!
    zperez0809

Comment by zperez0809 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I've had my Mirena for almost 5 years and I love it! I will be getting another one in Aug. I have nothing negative to say about Mirena, only postives. I haven't had a period since I got my Mirena and I don't miss it haha. I love my Mirena!
    JenBranch

Answer by JenBranch at 10:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2011