breast pump?

So Im having my 3rd baby and I didnt really breast feed with my other 2 ..now please dont bring out the pitch forks they are fine ... BUT i would like to try with this baby..but I feel weird with the baby on my boob so Ive decided to pump.. can anyone recommend a good breast pump that isnt going to cost me a gazillion dollars.. Ive been getting a ton of mixed reviews on babies r us when i look at the products .. any advice>

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was given a Medela double electric pump and I LOVE it! I didnt like the mixed reviews on the others I looked at and couldnt really afford this one, but my sister was kind enough to give me hers! It was a lifesaver! I plugged it into the wall and it has an adjustable suction dial. I HIGHLY recommend saving up the money and buying one. Like one of pp said, check craigslist or even ebay and see if you can find a used one and sterilize it and buy new tubes.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• well you can rent one from the hospital but if you prefer buying and dont want to spend an arm and a leg i got an evenflo one that you can plug in and use batteries. but i also only pumped every once in a while and it worked fine but from what i hear they arent as powerful as others. mind had an adjustable suction. i loved mine because it was also battery powered and worked great for when we happened to out on drives or whatnot. i picked it up at walmart for i think 30 or 40$ but if your going to be solely pumping you might want something a bit stronger.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I got a medela on ebay new in original package for $75. They retail for over 300. It was the best investment I could have made.

Once baby gets here, you may change your mind if you try.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Well Considering that this one is on the pricey side, it doesn't really fit into what you're looking for... but you can always look for one of craigslist and then sanitize it (some people end up not even using theirs) But I have a Medela that I love. Medela has a lot of accessories so you can pump directly into a bottle and feed from there if need be, and I found that it worked really well although I have never tried a different kind. Good Luck.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If your going to be pumping all the time I would look into renting one. I had to pump exclusivly for awhile and it's a much better option than any I could afford to buy. The Medela Symphony is the one I rented and it was great. The intitial cost can be a little pricey if youhave to buy the kit but if you pump at the hospital they may give you one. Be sure to ask! Good luck!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 4:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i exclusively pumped for my dd for over a year! join the EP group on here they are very helpful! but i have a medela free style! its the best! i broke and avent one in 4 months and a lanoish one in 3 months so i bought the medela and it is amazing!!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i tried with my second to put him at the boob and it freaked me out.. i have boob issues i dont even like my husband to touch them or anything beyond that... lol
    zperez0809

Comment by zperez0809 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i had a great one with my 3rd but it did cost a pretty penny. it was an avent double breast electric pump, i tried a cheap manual before that one and had very little success. although, i did put her on the boob i only pumped when i was engorged or leaking. i would recommend an electric one though before a manual.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I absolutely love the AVENT system!!! You can take it with you anywhere(since u don't need batteries to use it.) I tried using one of the electric pumps and didn't have any luck.
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 11:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If you'll be pumping exclusively, you'll need a hospital-grade. The Medela Symphony is AWESOME! I pumped 14 weeks for my micro preemie and this was the best. You should start getting in touch with an LLL leader or other lactation specialist because you will need support, especially if your milk doesn't come in right away. You CAN over pump and permanent damage your lactation tissue. Good for you to be willing to put the effort in for your baby!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2011