My husband and I are looking into adoption. Any suggestions on agencies?

jnhill

Asked by jnhill at 9:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Adoption

• maybe place an ad in the paper....... target area's that have a high teen pregnancy rate
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Catholic Social Services or Lutheran Social Services are 2 good agencies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Why not go straight through the county and cut out the profit that an agency makes. Many people don't know they can go straight through the county themselves. I'm not against adoption. I just know that agencies make a ton of money off of it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The first thing you need to do is decide: which route?
    Foster adopt- through the county, minimal fees if any
    Domestic infant adoption- agency or attorney, many fees
    International adoption- only through an agency in most countries, many many fees
    Embryo adoption- through an agency, many fees

You also have to decide ages of children, SN or not, etc...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There is a website that rates adoption agencies. It might be useful to you. If you want a list of the least ethical agencies, email me and I can provide that to you. Don't assume the larger agencies that have been around for a long time are necessarily the best ones, some of the most unethical agencies have been in business for a very long time. Adopting through the foster care system avoids many of the ethical problems inherent in domestic infant adoptions. Plus, fees are much lower.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 6:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There's a book called "The Adoption Resource Book" by Lois Gilman. It provides lots of useful information about types of adoptions, the overall process, etc and criteria to use to evaluate agencies (if that's the route you choose to take). It was recommended to us by an adoption consultant when we first started to look into adoption.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If you're using an agency, you also have to learn about their various requirements. Even though I was only 30 and DH 41 when we started seriously looking into adoption, we were running into age limits. Some have requirements for length of time married, infertility, or religion. We ended up using Catholic Charities (same as Catholic Social Services) twice. Neither adoption cost more than $10,000. They actually lose money on their adoption program, and they have a heavy emphasis on helping the women in crisis, no matter what decision they make. There are stinkers everywhere, and at least one birth mom here had a bad experience with them.

You want to find out if they provide counseling for birth moms free for as long as needed and support reunion efforts. Check into the website that Southernroots referrred you to. Neither office I used was rated there. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I see that you are looking to adopt! Please join my group here on CafeMom, M.A.M.A (Making Adoption More Affordable) and PM me with any questions you have!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109274
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 11:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• www.lifetimeadoptions.com
    Mostly open adoptions. I am the Pageant Director of the founders daughter. So I really only know a little.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 10:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Check out the states heart gallery
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 4:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011