My 3 year old refuses to potty train! Help?

mercedez0083

Asked by mercedez0083 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he might not be ready for it .. my son didnt really potty train up until he hit 3 and i tried to force him to do it before then and he fought me every step of the way my cousins son didnt potty train until almost 4 ... hell do it when hes ready just keep trying but not forcing the issue and hell get it eventually..potty training is the worst lol
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i don't comprehend....aren't you his mother? the one he has to listen to? my son didn't want to train. at first he was all good with it. was excited cuz he was a big boy. then all of a sudden he freaked out when it was time to go. i had to drag him screaming and kicking to the potty. he was 2 1/2. he was in underwear in 4 days. completely trained with very few accidents by the time he was 3. 3 1/2 he was having no accidents. now he's gonna be 4 in a few months and he's night and day trained. you're the mom. inforce. i'm assuming you inforce your rules in the house. what's the difference? he wants to climb the table. you say no. over and over and over. he gets upset about it, but you stand your ground. you want him to potty train, he gets upset about it. so instead of standing your ground, you let him stay in diapers? makes no sense to me. but you do what you want to do. if you want to train, i'll add another answer
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• set a timer for every hour. if he doesn't go, it's every half hour until he does go, then it's back to every hour. keep the resolve available, you'll need it. get a box of potty things to do. books, a list of songs to sing, coloring book, ect. sit with him while he sits on the potty and keep him occupied. bring him to the potty 15-20 minutes after he's done drinking something. don't reset the timer unless he does go. if at all possible, i recommend you stay at home for a whole week to do the training. try your hardest to get everything done so you don't have to go anywhere that week. after you've trained him in the home, going out is a bit harder. i put underwear on my son, but with a pull up OVER the underwear, so i didn't have to bring 500 "just in case" extra clothes with me. make sure you have a treat for him when he goes. 1 mini marshmellow or something for pee, 2 for poop. or stickers. my son prefered stickers over candy
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i disagree with you army wife. yes im his mother which means i should enforce but also nurture him. potty training isnt supposed to be a traumatic experience. trauma causes regression which in this instance would be completely counter productive. I want to encourage him with praise and positive reinforcement not act like a drill sargent. Thank you for your input and opinion however. Each mother choses to parent in a different manner and we are not on the same page in that aspect.
    Zperez, thank you for your input as well. The only reason I am concerned is I would love to enroll him in things like gymnastics/karate and no place will take a child who is not potty trained. He did show a lot of interest around age 2 and was excited about his potty seat and getting to be a "big boy" but I'm afraid the birth of his younger brother did cause a bit of regression.
    mercedez0083

Comment by mercedez0083 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• thank you army wife your second response was considerably more helpful.
    mercedez0083

Comment by mercedez0083 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• He will.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011