Food Prices are forecasted to go up... What changes will you make with you grocery shopping or eating in general?

I was watching the news this morning (1-15-2011). There was a segment on how the Bloomberg was expecting the price of corn to increase causing a ripple affect through out the food and grocery sectors. Eggs may be the only thing not to increase!

It was discussed that freak weather patterns were the causing factor of this forecast.

I apologize for not including a link to an article. I went to the CBS news website and could not figure out how to maneuver the site to find it.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'm not surprised that they will be going up. For us, I don't know that it will change too much on how we shop at first. This year I am hoping to purchase meat from a local rancher in bulk so that will help out and we have already decided to put in our own garden. This is partically because of rising food costs, but it also comes from no knowing what is really in my food at the local supercenter. There are still things we will be purchasing from the store, milk, eggs, cheese, chicken (I can't find anyone who sells them dressed locally). This won't change, we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay what the store demands.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I heard that yesterday. Although I am not sure what I will do any different we garden so all of our veggies come from that. I might just have to watch sales better and go with those. We don't eat expensive foods now. Just follow the sales I guess
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• pray and trust God. not sure how i'm going to do the budget thing without Him. food is supposed to keep going up in the next number of years, too high. I may end up growing my own veggie garden...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We are going to try and have a garden this year. I won't make any other changes but that. Food is one thing I won't compromise.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wish I had time, knowledge and a green thumb for gardening, but since I don't I will be looking more locally for my produce, and anything else I can get locally.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Here is the article and its a global issue causing it along with our own issues here in the states. It was predicted in 2008 or 2009 I cant remember which that we would have super high inflation that would cause food and gas prices to go through the roof.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/14/AR2011011406859.html

I think they are blaming it globally in some ways to hide that forecasters said this long ago. In any case I have my own garden every year and this wont be an exception. I plan on adding beans to the garden this year though. Dh and I plan to fully stock our 10 ft freezer with meat when we get our taxes. Then all I have to do is have breads and sides.

Answer by gemgem at 11:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• None. We already cook from scratch, coupon and stockpile. These price increases are exponential for people who live on pre-packaged food and fast food. For those of us who only deal in basic ingredients, the impact is very minimal. The difference between a few extra dollars a month and a few hundred dollars.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

•  I'll be planning on using coupons more & i will still continue to use the store brands.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Money has always been tight with me and me dh. we buy pasta a lot becasue it can last for a long time and it not too expensive. Knowing where to shop is a big part of it. Bj's u can get bulks of food. I'm gonna start shopping at Aldi's they dont have any brand name foods there so u can get a lot for a little
    Glouii

Answer by Glouii at 11:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We probably won't be changing anything.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2011