Unpaid BOBs...do you return it?

BOB...bottom of basket. Those forgotten items at the bottom of the basket that you are so busy when you rush to put items on the conveyer belt at the store...that when you go through the doors and the alarm doesn't go off...you're putting your items in the back of your car when you realize...you DIDN'T pay for the item that slipped through unpaid for. What do you do?

Some say karma. It wasn't your fault that the cashier missed it. Or guilty so you turn around and want to pay for it. I've known people to return things that BOB had...or that they didn't realize their toddler walked out with only to get called thief and get reported...

Have you had a BOB experience or what would you do if this happened to you?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 10:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Shopping

• this happened to me once where they rang me up than had to rering it ( long story and they forgot almost an entire bag... ) i didnt go back bc i spend almost 600$ A month at that particular store .. that was me justifying it.. if it happens one time id just let it go but dont make it a habit lol
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had this happen only once and I did go back into the store and pay for the item. The cashier was shocked that I was honest enough to go back to pay for the $2.00 discount kids shoes. I happen to work in a grocery store so I see all kinds of ways people try to not pay for something. They don't realize that it is this kind of action that leads to higher prices.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I haven't had this happen, but if I did I would go back and pay for the item(s). I've always been paranoid about having the kids walk out with something when they were little and now when we go shopping they both check the cart to make sure we've gotten it all up on the belt. I agree with pennycandy - people not paying for things only leads to higher prices for all.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• On the other hand, there have been many times I have had something rung up by the cashier more than once so I call it even and move on.  If it was something expensive, had a cashier forget a carseat once, I went back in and paid for it after not seeing it on my receipt.  A case of Coke?  Nope, those are the ones I chalk up to being even.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I go back no matter how small the item is because it becomes shrink for that store and for that manager nobody wants to have the biggest shrink record. I take it back and pay for it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If it's a $5 item. No, I don't care. Why? Because it makes up for the perfectly good produce I spent money on that went rotten the very next day that I stopped returning because it keeps happening. I'll probably get a vote down for this, but I really don't care if Walmart suffers. They have people in China working for 14 cents an hour and living in filthy conditions, all so we can have shoes, toys, and clothes. I'm not saying I steal all the time or anything. I'm just saying I'm not bending over backwards if it's an honest mistake.

I've heard the prices go up, but to be honest, people have been shoplifting for years, and I really don't see that major of a price change. And if there is a raise in price it's usually due to the economy all around.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• its happened to me once but the line was SOOO long that i was not in the mood to go back
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If its me I probably wouldnt realize untill I was home, but My hbby does all the grocery shopping he would return it if it was big keep it if it was small!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2011