teen acne

how do you get rid of it or make it less of a problem? of course, without being expensive ....

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• ProActiv is 20 bucks a month! I have serious acne when I am pregnant and I couldn't find anything that worked. Finally I went to the website and thought I'd just check it out. It works like a charm and when I added up all of the products I was trying that didn't work, the ProActiv was half the price. The payment schedules are done in 3 payments, one per month.
    MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• walmart carries their own brand of acne products that contain salicylic acid and glycolic acid, if you can combine the two products that contain those ingredients you can have really good results. Also, AVON carries a good product line for acne that contains both and when you catch it on sale it runs sometimes cheaper than walmart. Ex-a facial wash with salicylic acid and an acne lotion that contains glycolic acid. Or the facial wash with glycolic acid and the acne pads/wipes that contain salicylic acid. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Proactiv worked for me...although I have only had mild acne. If you visit a dermatologist, many of them will give you tons of free samples of acne medication that will last you a long time, so really all you'll end up paying for is the visit...which insurance should cover anyways. However any face wash with Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide in it should help. You can find them at any drug store. Washing the face in the morning and at night is also good. I definitely recommend Proactiv though. There's a whole system you follow and its only $20 a month, and you can stop it at any time...and I believe they will refund you if it hasn't worked. If he/she has SEVERE acne, you need to see a dermatologist though. There is a type of acne called cystic acne that sometimes requires medication to treat or even surgery to remove the pimples.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I took my daughter to the dermatologist last month. He prescribed and antibiotic and a face wash and retin A. No samples were offered and our insurance wouldn't cover the face wash. The prescriptions cost around $80.00. I also took her to the clinique counter and got her the acne solutions foundation and blush. So far I have only seen slight improvement. She started the meds in late Dec.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• An honest answer, some acne is NOT just because of dirt and oil in the pores. It is caused bey HORMONES and this is the acne (usually very severe) where you NEED to go to a dermatologist and get some professional help.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wish I knew. The prescription meds are not working for me two kids and it is getting way too expensive.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Son has blackheads all over his nose and forehead, uses Clearasil only sporadically.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (like Just Tomatoes or Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You will just have to try different kinds, til you find what works for your teen, Its like everything else, everyone is different and what works for one might not work for another.
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2011