What is the intended purpose of 'Private Browsing' in web browsers?

Does it have higher purpose or is it just so you can hide what you're doing from your boss or whoever? I'm sure this feature must have been designed for something more important than that.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Technology

• My laptop has a feature where you can open an "In Private" window, I'm guessing that's what you are talking about. I'm not really sure what the purpose is, but here's what Microsoft has to say about it...
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-InPrivate-Browsing

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Sorry, it's called Private Browsing in Firefox... and according to that article, yes, it is designed to hide your web activity. How odd.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I dunno but I use to to keep my DH from knowing what I shopped for him for Christmas!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• lol, good thinking!!!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't really understand either, I use it when I log in to our bank account or my paypal account just as an added protection. I don't know if really helps, but it makes me feel better. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• History is used by the browser to enhance your experience on the Internet. When the browser remembers a website you previously visited or the username and password for your favorite web site, this information is considered your history.

However, there may be times when you do not want other users of your computer to see or access such information. For example, if a friend or family member shares your computer, you might prefer for them not to be able to see what websites you've visited or what files you've downloaded.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Private%20Browsing

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011