Do you know the origin of this name?

Do you know what the origin of the name Lilith is? Do you think it is a negative or positive name?

My dh and I both really like the name, but the origin might make some people think badly of my child so I just want to see how many people actually know what I'm talking about.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Baby Names

• ive never heard of anything negative of that name.,the only t hing i think of is the character on Frasier but its such an old show i dont think anyone will make a big deal ( if thats what youre talking about.. im hoping im not way off base lol) i think its a lovely name
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• it's a pretty name but i doubt most people would associate it with the demon
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Assyrian. Lillith sounds very grown up but nice. Are you ok if her name is shortened to Lilly (it may happen when she id a child).
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• oh its a demon name... sorry for my ridiculous post before then i still like the name though
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Jen- yes we love Lily as a nickname! Right now were are tossing between Just Lily and Lilith. Lilith goes much better with our last name
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think it really matters. I didn't know what the orgin was i had to look it up. What does your husband think about the orgin does he think it matters? If y'all both like it and he doesn't care what the name means I would go for it. Keep in mind your child is stuck with that name for the rest of her life and if the orgin bothers you you most likely don't need to name her that.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The meaning of the name Lilith is Of The Night The origin of the name Lilith is Arabic Notes: Dr. Lilith Sternin Crane, character on TV show "Cheers" and "Frasier"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have freinds that named their dd Lilly. I love the name. Don't care if Lilith is a demon name or not.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My dh actually picked the name. If you look at it from a different perspective, Lilith is considered a demon because she refused to be submissive to Adam which is actually a very powerful thing to do.

My other daughter's name is Laila, which means born at night in Arabic- it's kind of cool that the meanings are similar.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have always like the name Delilah but she cause Samson's downfall. If my husband liked that name I would want our child to be called Delilah but I would always have in the back of my mind are people going to think bad of my child because of her name. You and your husband just need to think about it and I really don't think anyone would think anything about the name lilith. I do like the name lily or lillian
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2011