Do you think bottle propping is bad if the mom is right there and she has multiple kids to care for?

And it's not being propped for EVERY feeding?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'll admit I sometimes propped one twin's bottle for the time it took to get the other twin situated or burped. In that situation it just seemed like my best option, but I don't think it's ever appropriate to prop a bottle and walk away.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had moms tell me before I had kids not to bottle prop so I didn't do it.  But I don't think it's actually "wrong".  There is a lot more serious issues happening, I wouldn't look down on someone for propping the bottle.  Moms told me it was wrong because all it takes is a second to get distracted and end up with a choked baby.  But on the other hand, you can get just as distracted with the baby sitting right there on your lap so who knows.  If it feels okay to you then it's okay.  If you feel badly about it or think that it might be wrong, then it is.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No I don't because sometimes you have others to care for besides a baby and you're right there.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Don't feel bad. Do what works for you and your baby, don't let anyone make you feel bad :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• nope. i propped my dd's bottle when i needed too.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Not at all. I didn't do it very often, but if I was trying to do something real quick for my oldest, I would prop my little ones bottle for her so I could acomplish more.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You should NEVER prop your baby's bottle!!!!!! That kind of action can be damaging to your baby's health. You know, it can cause problems with their ears later. You should use the feeding time to bond with your baby, and it isn't easy to do that if you are PROPING A BOTTLE!!!
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 11:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, I don't. I wouldn't do it all the time, but sometimes a mom has more tasks than hands.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There is no reason to prop a baby' s bottle, it is lazy. Bash all you want. That is bonding time, looking at your baby smiling at him and talking to him. I EBF and had 4 kids 6 and under. Pure laziness.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think it can be unsafe but as long as you don't do it for every feeding and you are sitting right by the child and is checking on the child every few seconds that's fine
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011