Am I wrong for telling my family if they dont like the names I picked for my unborn child then they dont have to be involved and that means seeing them period?

DST1913

Asked by DST1913 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• I guess it depends are they being nasty about the name? If they are harassing you about it I might tell them to back off or stay away. but if it's just they don't like it I wouldn't keep them from seeing your child as long as they don't keep bring up the fact they don't like the name.
    Beyondthesky37

Answer by Beyondthesky37 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• uh... its a little harsh but i guess it depends. It's your child so you get to choose his/her name. if they dont like it and wont see you or your child just because of a name then it's their loss. but telling them if they dont like it and can't see your chld because they dont like it then that's a little harsh. good luck!
    Anonymous

• I think you went too far. Don't tell them any more abot names, just keep it a secret until the baby is named. But you really don't want your family relationships to end do you?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I don't think there is any need to say, "they don't have to be involved at all". I mean people didn't like my son's name even tried to talk us out of it. But we dtill named him Zahid, and that is our business not anyone elses. So i say name YOUR child what you feel is correct for you. but think your child will have this name there whole life. say it out loud and with different last names incase it will change. if you still like it then there you go. good luck!
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 2:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• It's your child and you need to make sure your family knows that. We had problems with my family sticking their nose in the naming game. We even went as far as not to tell anyone the name we picked until I had the baby. But it is your baby and your choice what you name him and your family should respect that!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Well I don't talk to most of my family, so you may not care for my opinion. But I have to say that it is sooooo rude when family or friends give a negative opinion on your child's name, and they need to understand that this is your child and they should just say that they like it even if they are lying.
    KiriandWyatt

Answer by KiriandWyatt at 6:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Unless you asked them for their input, then you don't have to listen to their suggestions and whatnot. But I would not totally disown them, that is harsh and won't benefit anyone. Be firm and say "this is what we decided, we aren't looking for suggestions or opinions, so please let us choose the name." Firm, but polite. And remind them that they will love the child regardless of the name.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008