When should my baby start water, juice, and finger foods?

The nurse told me my DD didn't need water or juice until she was 1 year old. And the doctor told me not to start stage 2 until she got 3 of 4 teeth. She is 6.5 months with two teeth already. I am reading a lot of posts about babies already on juice, water, and finger foods. When is a good time to start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• firstly, there is no need for a baby to have juice. Ever.

is she already eating solid foods? I wouldn't rush it. DD didn't show much interest in food at all until she was almost a year old. She went right to table foods and skipped the baby food
    Karri_B

Answer by Karri_B at 11:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It depends on the child! My little girl had nothing but breastmilk until she was 10 months old. When they get to the point where they are wanting more than what they already have is when you should start giving them more foods. Wait on the water and juice until at least one year.
    lilwecky

Answer by lilwecky at 11:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my nine month old gets juice watered down in a straw cup... she also get lots of water in a straw cup .. she has 2 baby bottles one whenseh wakes up and one when she goes to bed everything else in a straw cup
    Dunty

Answer by Dunty at 12:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my daughter was not getting enough from me when she was about 2 months old.. we started her on formula and my doctor gave me the ok for small doses of white grape juice. she also started getting an oz of cereal. by the time she was 5 months old, she was eating pureed fruits (avacado, mango, banana, and applesauce) and some veggies. she drinks white grape juice and i have had no problems with her at all. i think it depends on the child. she is almost 7 months old now and will actually hold her spoon and eats alot of different vegetables and her favorite snack is "pirate booty" found at kroger and whole foods...
    Tracihas3kids

Answer by Tracihas3kids at 12:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son is 10 months old and he gets juice. It is really watered down and is always in a sippy cup. I started him on baby food when he started wanting what mommy was eating. He was about 5 months old at that time. By 7 months he was eating 2nd foods and by 8 months he had 5 teeth and was "chewing" his 2nd foods so I switched him to 3rd foods. He loved them. Now he gets table food and he absolutly loves it! I started that about a month ago. My pedi told me that mother knows best and if you feel that your baby is ready, try it. The baby will let you know if he doesn't like it and you will figure out if he can handle it!
    KimberlySnipes

Answer by KimberlySnipes at 1:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2008