What do you think of reggae music?

My husband is from Hawaii and that is all he ever listens to. He says it is just a cultural thing and that the locals listen to it the same as Jamaicans would. I'm not so sure I want my kids growing up listening to it because of the negative associations it has with marijuana.

What do all of you think? I know I am never going to have too much control over what my kids listen to, but I can try and guide them in the right direction. (My husband is sometimes too relaxed probably due to the fact he is from Hawaii :))

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Entertainment

• If you associate music to drugs, you will find an issue with every music type. Your children will find their music pref. anyways.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i think its okay again music is just that music . My mom had that attitude and so do I.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Reggae is cultural. Look up the origin. Reggae is a style of music, and it's origin recalls nothing of drugs. Don't listen to Janice Joplin, The Doors, Queen, Johnny Cash or anyone else for that matter. Bob Marley smoked weed and I know of one song out of a hundred where he actually mentions it. He was actually a very wise, insightful man. I love his writing.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i love regge and not all is associated with pot
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 11:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would just pick out specific songs that have messages I don't like rather than throw out an entire genre

I think there are perfectly fine reggea songs as well as probably a few that aren't so great- but I think this can be said of every kind of music really
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I enjoy reggae music, I find it soothing and relaxing!! My nephews enjoy it, and we do impressions, so much fun!! There was a 25th celebration video for sesame street that features a reggae band!! The kids and the characters dance, and laugh it is great!!
    boop12

Answer by boop12 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Reggae music has nothing to do with marijuana. That would be like saying heavy metal is linked to teen-age suicides.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have no problems with it. He's right it is a cultural music.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• it's limbo time for the conga line, no pot or rum needed to have fun and enjoy the music and dancing
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 5:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• reggae is the bomb!!!! i agree 100% with musicmom80
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011