when did your LO start drinking out of a regular cup?

My son will be 3 in April and still uses a sippy. He never did very well with straws but he's getting the hang of it (learning not to tip the cup like you can a sippy). On occasion I give him a regular cup but he just pours it out onto his high chair tray. This morning he wanted to use a cup with the handles on either side but without the top. I poured a little bit of milk in it, he poured it into a box with blocks and over his train. So i guess he isnt quite ready lol. Or could he be? How do I go about offering it to him? Or like potty training, just wait till he's ready?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is 3.5 and goes back and forth he still uses a sippy whn his 18 month old brother his around but he can use a cup.. he started around just before 3
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My son is 3. He used a straw before the sippy cup. He still uses a sippy cup because it is cleaner :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• 2. but whenever he's ready. waiting until 3 or so will not affect his development in this area at all, so don't sweat it. just start with a little water, b/c it may end up all over them! they tend to drink from the top when tipped and not the bottom. pretty cute.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My twins started using regular cups at meals around 18 months, and by 2 1/2 we'd pretty much given up sippies completely. If you're wanting to transition but not ready for a mess, then start enforcing "cup rules" with the sippy just as you would with a regular cup - it has to be sitting upright, it can only be used in the kitchen/dining area, etc.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There are no rules written in stone. When a child ready they swap anyway:) Introduce the cup to him more and more. Put water in it and don't give him the sippy cup. If he pours the water out than make him to clean it up. If he is thirsty, give him the cup to drink from. He knows what to do. But he knows he can have the sippy cup. So if you want him to drink from a cup than don't give him a choice. But it is not a must do...
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• no i'm in no rush or anything for the transition! I'm just curious
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Before he used a sippy, 1.5 years or so. I don't ever give him an open cup unless he is sitting at a table! If he wants to wander with his beverage, he gets a sippy.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Sippies do not spill mommy. I swear our grands are 13, 12, 11, 6, and 2. I wish they all still used sippie cups.....lol.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I started giving my DS a regular cup at the table around 1 year old...and then by 2 all the time (except for in the car obviously). At 2 I bought a few small glasses for him to use at the table and it's been all smooth sailing! If at first he dumped the water or whatever, I simply moved it away and tried again. He learned really quickly!
    We use a sippy for milk at night and a Kleen Kanteen in the car (since age 2 also) but he occasionally gets water happy back there and sprinkles his lap. Usually, he just drinks and gives it back to me.
    I find too, that (now that he's 3) I HATE those covered cups they give at restaurants because they are tempting for him to open and play with. If they gave him an open cup or glass, I am sure he would just DRINK it LOL
    One major problem with plastic; it FEELS throwable.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2011