Nanny Cam...

Do you have to be informed your being filmed on nanny cam? Or can a sitter have one without telling you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• They don't have to tell ya.

Answer by older at 11:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• They are legal as long as there is no audio. The audio would fall under the violate the Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Control Act.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You don't have to be informed
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The sitter? What do you mean? The nanny cam is for the parents who don't trust their nannies or the people who look after their children. I would leave the family straight away if someone would use it on me with or without telling me. I am a professional nanny with 10 years experience and all the papers and good references. Plus I have my own family life coaching-counselling business. How on the Earth someone can leave their children with someone who they don't trust that much so they have to spy on them?! Disgusting and violating.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If your babysitter is a minor I believe you have to get consent in order to use a nanny cam. Laws are different with each state though, but definitely be more cautious if it's a minor.
    vbmurphy

Answer by vbmurphy at 11:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I worked at several restaraunts and gas stations with both video and audio, and it wasn't illegal. That law only applies if you are under interrogation and not being told you are being taped. They use wiretapps and phone tapping to prosecute people still. It's not illegal to have a nanny cam and not tell someone. I wish I had one when I had the baby sitter from hell.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• gas stations nad what not have signs saying there is video taping with audio on the premises. You can't video tape with audio without consent/their knowledge but you can video tape w/o audio with out consent/their knowledge.   Here is a link I found on the subject.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2011