Hubby's dog stinks even after a bath...

Any tips. I know it's probably not good but I spray her with human body spray. It helps a little.

jen2774161

Asked by jen2774161 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pets

• food makes a big impact on a dog's skin. I betcha anything that the vet will reccomend y'all to feed the dog high end dog food. The cheap stuff at the grocery store is really not good for them, their skin & their coat.

My oldy rotty Maggie used to always smell. When i finally brought her to the vet, they said to change her dog food. It took a few months, but after feeding her quality dog food for a while, she stopped smelling.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would also recommend a vet to take a look. An over growth of yeast or bacteria on the skin can cause smell issues.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• What kind of dog is it? We have a Cockerspaniel. He has extremely long, curly hair that grows into his ears. It causes yeast infections, which does have a smell. It's pretty gross. We have to keep his ears shaved and the hair cleaned out. He just had all that done, a bath and a hot oil conditioning treatment. He smells good right now. Just remember, that dogs do not like to smell good though, so at the first chance they will find something nasty to roll in, even if it is their own bed. Ugh....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Take the dog to the vet. There is probably an underlying issue.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Take the dog to vet!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Smells could mean so many things, including thyroid issues, lupus, and bacterial and fungal infections on the skin.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• DON'T SPRAY THE DOG WITH BODY SPRAY FOR PEOPLE!!!! THAT IS DANGEROUS!!! WHAT R U THINKING!! WHAT KIND OF SHAMPOO DOES OUR HUBBY USE??
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2011