when do you start your garden? a certain time every year?

what if you're in one of those states where it can be 70 degrees one day in the spring, and the next it can be back down in the 40's? how do you decide when to start your garden?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I go by the farmers almanac. It will give you the right times to start where ever you live. Obviously it wont tell you if there is a frost from one day to the next so you have to watch the news and weather channel to know if one is coming. When they are then you cover the plants or if in pots bring them inside.

Answer by gemgem at 11:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I can't wait to plant rose bushes!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• When I know the frost is gone for sure!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I gave you a bump! i'd like to start a garden this year and have no clue lol. Definately closer to spring like early march or when there is no more frost on the ground. farmers almanac is a great item to have on hand! I'll be buying one soon
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You go by your last frost date for your area for cold sensitive crops (tomatoes, peppers, etc.), but for cold-tolerant crops, you can start your garden as soon as the soil can be worked. We will actually start our garden as soon as the soil is no longer super muddy and the bulk of the snow is gone. We start by adding compost & other organic fertilizers and tilling it all in, then we'll plant our cold-tolerant crops like peas, cabbage, broccoli, beets, etc. All of this happens about 4-6 weeks prior to our last expected frost date. By the time the soil has warmed up, the cold-tolerant crops will be done, making room for the sun lovers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Depends on where you live. I am located in Michigan I usually have my garden in before Mother's day. Some of the locals say that you are really late planting if you do not have your garden planted by Memorial day.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011