What is your personal opinion of natural birth?

So............I am getting ready to have my 4th child naturally.  I get called "crazy" and "insane" quite a bit.  I am just wondering what you ladies out there really think about natural birth?  Post even if you disagree, I want to hear all sides.

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• For me there was a HUGE difference going without drugs. With my first 3 I was induced, and with the 2nd and 3rd I had an epidural (the first time it didn't work well and the next time it worked wonderfully). With my fourth I had NO drugs. I do remember thinking the pain after childbirth was excruciating with the natural one. However, the memory of the pain goes away practically IMMEDIATELY. I can still clearly remember the pain for my first 3 kids. I will NEVER forget it. With my fourth I remember being in pain, but not what it felt like. The relief and joy wiped it away. It makes me wonder if my bodies natural hormones and chemicals are blocked with the drugs, but with the natural birth they weren't. That's what I have heard - that our bodies chemicals/hormones act as a pain killer of sorts. I certainly think it is true, based on my experience.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think you're "crazy" or "insane" in the least! I think you are "strong" and "amazing!"
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• DD was a natural birth NEVER did I think she would be! I had a wonderful experience and honestly can say I do not even remember pain just the beautiful crying face of DD when she popped out.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There is nothing like it! recuperation time is minimal, I never took any meds with my first two, they were natural and I had easy labor, but then my third was an emergency c section and I felt cheated I missed the whole thing.

Answer by older at 12:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Our bodies were designed to have babies, simple as that. Of course there are some who can't do it naturally because of physical reasons, but they are really the minority, with most not being able to have an all natural birth because of psychological reasons. I believe that most women talk themselves out of being able to have an all natural birth because of a fear of pain or injury. Women have been having all natural births for thousands of years before the advent of modern medicine and I honestly believe that most, not necessarily all, but most women could have their babies just fine with minimal medical interventions. If you are up for an all natural birth, go for it! I wish you well!!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• cont. and teen bodies (like 12, 13) were not designed for childbirth, but teens are having babies. There's nothing wrong with natural childbirth, but there's nothing wrong with appreciating medical science and what it can do for us to.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Oh I'm with you on that one.  It's almost like I have a mental block on the pain, it fades so quickly!

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Natural as in no pain meds? I would rather have no pain meds. I gave birth to both my boys naturally. I would highly recommend it. Plus I was scared to have a needle in my back. I was in some pain during child birth but it wasn't that bad that I had to be numb.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had a vaginal birth with an OB with my oldest. I had the epidural, all the interventions I never really wanted but was talked into. I felt like something was missing, but couldn't put my finger on it...

until I had my youngest. I had a miswife with my youngest, and a completely drug and intervention free delivery. (literally, the only thing my midwife had to do was catch him) and it was in the instant that he was born I realized what it was i had missed with my oldest's birth. I will NEVER use an OB again... I'll stick with my midwife TYVM. I will also, from now on, have a completely natural, non-medicated birth with any more children I may be blessed to have. Personally, i don't think you're crazy... I think like you do though.
    But no, natural labor and delivery really as bad as the doctors make it out to be... women needs to trust int heir bodies more!
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 12:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If you can do it more power to you.. Between two children I experienced and it was painful
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2011