Never able to get ahead....

I am so completely drained today! Hubby and I were finally paying off bills, and starting to put some into savings! When tax time rolls around we were even going to put money in a CD talk about exciting!! Were on the road to building credit and buying a home next year! and then what...HIS TRUCK BREAKS DOWN! ugg, we ended up pushing it ourselves so we wouldnt pay a tow truck, im sore as hell today and just angry! His truck is old as dirt and weve replaced it feels like EVERYTHING under the hood since weve been together! And he is great with the upkeep! He can fix just about everything himself! But it really seems like its ALWAYS something! At this point I want to just cut my losses with his truck and sell it for parts! What would you do?! Get a cash car, or fix the truck AGAIN? sorry if this is all over the place I am still tired and stressed the hell out from last night!!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• It's NOT worth getting stuck with payments when you are trying so hard to get out of debt...you will be going backwards instead of moving forwards. I would find out what it's going to cost to fix the truck and decide if it's more worthwhile to fix the truck or buy a cash car. Even if your truck breaks down every year, it's still cheaper to fix the truck than to have $300/month payments on a new car.Think about it, $3600(or more) a year in car payments.....You have never spent $3600 in repairs at one time on your truck, much less for 5 or 6 years in a row. If you can get the truck fixed, start a fund for car repairs or a new car so that when that time comes it's not as bad as it seems to you this time. Join the Dave Ramsey Fans group for some motivation and good advice on becoming debt free.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would sell the truck for good and get a new and workable car. It is important for you and your husband as well to work with a good and safe car. And he make his money with it. Good car = more money then. Maybe you will pay some money now but in the long run it will come back. And the time your husband doesn't need to lie under the truck repairing it he can spend with you or he can work a bit more. If you are pissed off it means it is time to change:) Go mommy, go:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• How frustrating! When we first started getting out of debt our transmission went out. It sucked so bad! Think of it like a test- Just to make sure that you really are committed to getting out of debt and saving money.

If it's cheaper to fix the truck I would fix it. It would be wise to start a budget for car maintenance and repair, and possibly car replacement as well.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Is a truck important to your work lives or your personal life. I know there is no way we could not have a truck. Is it a gas hog? This is important with the price of gas. What will it be to repair it?
    We pay $2 every six months for towing insurance. This is added onto our regular auto insurance. State Farm. They come even if you lock your keys in. This is a real savings. I have to pay out of pocket then I am reimbursed. It takes a couple weeks. Well worth it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thanks ladies...I am frustrated with it, Gas isnt an issue his job fills his tank up once a week, and the truck is actually AMAZING on gas...its more of an issue that its a two seater and there are 4 of us...Im just at a loss, we could afford to finance a car for a year or two because we will have like 5K to put down on one...but IDK if its worth it!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Its called keeping up with the Jones., Its a financial disease. Its typical for the average person who doesn't have education in finances(not accounting, or college courses) but a real financial education.

Just tend to keep doing stuff that costs more and more money with out it bringing money itslef to pay for itself and other things.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011