Kid GPS????

Ok, so I have found this product that is a GPS you can use on your kid. You put it in the child's pocket or if you don't want anyone to know, it can go in the lining of clothes and you track it with your cell phone. You can listen in to what is going on around the child and you can see where the child is. I am thinking about getting it to use when my dd goes to her dad's house. He has threatened to kidnap her and I am always worried he will. Yes, I can listen in to conversations BUT he shouldn't be saying anything around her that he wouldn't want me knowing as she is 4 and can and does repeat things. In my situation, is it wrong for me to use it? Just to be clear he will not know about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• he has threatened to kidnap her? he said this to your face? I'd mention that to your lawyer. I think the gps thing is a good idea. just make sure you dont tell dd about it
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• He can SAY whatever he wants, but I was the only one who heard it so I can't do anything about it. I ask because a friend said is would be an invation of his privacy. He shouldn't be doing/ saying anything the requires privacy when around a 4 year old little girl
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think its a great idea. Where would u put it so he couldn't find it though? I would...get a recorder so u can record what's being said as well! They will want proof in court if it gets that far. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think it is legal to use it for this reason if it can record sounds. The GPS thing is a good idea because loads of children get lost nowadays. But if you don't trust the dad than you have to tell a lawyer that he threatened you otherwise you can get into a big trouble. I know you want to save your child from something you think is dangerous. But if he finds out and take you to the court if you are not on the legal side you can easily loose your custody. So be really clever with these things.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Where cani find one of these? Could you message me?
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would get one! Wish they had them when I was going through mt nasty divorce 20+ years ago!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have 3 teens and I'd love to implant one in their person without them knowing :)
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If it can record sounds, then it is ILLEGAL. You cannot record someone without their knowledge and it be admissible in court.
    As for GPS - I can see your point for the GPS. Otherwise, not a good idea.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• For those who said that they think it is illigal if there is sound, I think you are right. I have foun a product at best buy that traks the location and reports it to your cell phone. You can also set a place where they are supposed to be and if they go outside of that place, it alerts you right away. This is the link for those who were interested

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Little+Buddy+Child+Tracker+(Blue)+-+Blue/9540703.p?id=1218123143064&skuId=9540703&st=little buddie&cp=1&lp=2
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't see how it's much different than a 'nanny-cam' - however you might want to check with the laws in your state. In some states it's illegal to record someone w/out their knowledge and in many a recording of that nature even if not illegal is inadmissible in court.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011