When going out with friends and family how do you divide the expenses?

If you are going out for more than one day and say you will be sharing lodging, going out to eat, recreational activities, etc, how do you go about sharing the bill. For example; if you want to go camping with family how would you share the expense of renting the space, how would you go about the deposit, and my biggest issue how do you ask everyone for their share of the deposit or bill? I would hate asking others for money. If I had money I would not be asking this question I would love to be able to treat my family and friends. Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Entertainment

• We split everything 50/50

Answer by older at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We just divide it by the number of people or families and then tell them it's due by X date. If they haven't given it to you by then, follow up and ask if you can drop by to pick it up, or if it's gotten lost in the mail?? Sometimes it's a hassle because people are busy, but the vacation is nice. (make sure you get payment before the trip!)

Answer by missanc at 1:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My husband as the elder male of the family picks up the check. He sometimes lets them take care of the tip.
    With friends, it depends, If they are not financial able we pick up the whole check. Otherwise, we take care of our own share.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• keep receipts & make sure you have a calculator. When we rent cabins, we just ass up the total & split it up between each couple. Everyone brings their own food, food can be hard to split up because some people eat more or less than others & some folks just have different taste. So, when camping, or renting a cabin...we each supply our own food.

If we're going out to eat, unless someone tell us it's on them, we ask the waitor for a seperate check.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• "biggest issue how do you ask everyone for their share of the deposit or bill"

Don't ask. Send out an email to everyone with the price broken down so that they know how much they're paying & just tell them that "x" amount is what you owe. No body expects someone else to pay for everything, unless someone offers.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Add up...not ass up...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Everytime we have done something like this we simply say what the fee is and what everyone's share is (for something like the deposit) . Then we say to give Susie your share on the first day or we need it by such and such a date. For food we all contribute, make a menu everyone is happy with, and a couple of us go shopping together and use only that money. Going out to eat gets more tricky. If it is only 4 of us we ask for separate checks. If it is a crowd then we have had times when the bill is divided equally and everyone gives that amount. We have also had times when a family member has made a scene about what her share was so one of us then sat and figured out each family's meals and what their total was. Now my husband and I keep track of ours (plus tax and tip) and give that amount to the person who is handling the check. As far as attractions we all pay our own when we go the ticket window. Hope this is helpful
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• we ask for separate checks at all times so when we go out everyone will ask for what they can afford and the tip is the only thing that we all share.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• 50/50 split deposits up front, on food enough to feed your family+1,remeber your gear notes,ect
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 5:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• 50/50 girl. Ask for sure. I mean what would you think if one of your group asked you for your share? Most likely you would think nada so either will they silly. Just do it!!!

hugs

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011