Were the nurses in the hospital helpful?

I see a lot of questions posted about things that the nurses went over with me in the hospital after I had my 1st baby. They had a checklist of things they showed me how to do (bathing baby, swaddling, etc.) and then they had to watch me do it. I've just been surprised at some of the things people weren't told/taught. Is it just being nervous about being a first time parent that makes some people forget, or did the nurses really not go over things with patients?

Asked by missanc at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I had Awesome nurses when my 7 month old was born they reshowed me everything swaddling,bf positions but also didn't hover they were all really respectfulbut when my 5yo was born they were nowhere near as helpful but I also had my kids at 2 different hospitals
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My nurse didn't do any of those things. We had to go to an hour long class before we could be sent home that covered most of the basics, but it really was just a waste of time. My hospital assumed that you took a class before having the baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Some nurses are more helpful than others. They didn't go over much with me that I didn't ask about, but I felt confident we'd work through everything and figure things out for ourselves (which we did). The only thing we really needed help with was breastfeeding, which they helped a lot with.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The nurses only told me things when I asked. Thankfully I am an educated person who likes to read, so I was already good to go. I did ask a nurse to teach me swaddling, but I never really got the hang of it until I read Dr. Karp's book, Happiest Baby on the Block. I think for me, the rest was common sense, except for breastfeeding, which was very hard for me. I asked for help, but I got a million different answers.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My nurses were worthless. They felt that my child needed a bottle. They just brought her to me and left never said anything. It really didn't matter I was glad to have my baby to myself.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My nurses were super sweet and very helpful, when I asked, but they never offered the info!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 1:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• my nurse didn't show me how to give my first a bath or anything else, or the rest of them either.... the quads were premies so i had more hospital imput with them but the other was pretty much common sense taking care of a baby
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 1:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• How lucky you were. The hospital my kids were born in offered infant care classes to expectant couples, and of course we attended those; but after the babies were born, they quickly went over a list of basics, but didn't actually show us how to do things or check to see that we really understood.

I had dressed the baby dolls in the class, but my DH and I were both very nervous about actually changing our 1st's tiny T-shirt when we got him home...10 hours after he was born. (That was common practice at that time, 'Early Release' they called it. It was soon abandoned, but not soon enough to give us the time in the hospital we could have benefited from.)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• With my last baby I wanted to punch a couple of my nurses. I had a c-section and had this gas bubble stuck up under my lungs so I could barely breathe (every breath was agonizing with a piercing pain in my side like I was being stabbed). She helped me in bed and then said she was going to lower the bed down but when I was flat the pain was so intense I couldn't catch my breath and the bitch refused to put the bed back up and just stood there watching me gasp for air and cry, BEGGING her to put the bed back up. I couldn't move because of the pain and eventually took to screaming at the top of my lungs hoping someone else would come in to help me since she wouldn't (there was another nurse in there and they kept pushing my hands away from the controls so I couldn't put the bed up myself). After 5 or so agonizing minutes they finally fixed the bed. I have never been so scared in my life.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011