Atlanta mourning the loss of Neal Boortz's assistant . . .

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2011/01/15/royal-marshall-neal-boortzs-engineer-has-passed/

Those of you who aren't familiar with Neal Boortz's show can feel free to skip over this post.  Those of you who are have probably heard Royal Marshall, Neal Boortz's audio engineer and producer, on the air with Boortz and his other sidekick, Belinda Skelton.

Royal Marshall died early this morning of as yet undetermined causes.  He was 43 and left behind a wife and two daughters, ages four and two. 

Boortz is usually lumped in with right-wing talk show hosts, although he is a Libertarian.  I admit there are times when Boortz gets on my nerves, and I prefer reading his website to listening to him.  But Boortz *never* lost an opportunity to give credit to Royal and Belinda when credit was due.  Whenever Boortz was honored for whatever reason, he ALWAYS made sure to say that Royal and Belinda were indispensable to him.  Boortz's statement on his website says that he's lost a man who was like a brother to him.  He's not exaggerating.  Belinda was quoted as saying that she'd lost her other half.  Sbe's not exaggerating either.

No matter how you feel about talk radio and the people who work in the industry, today a wife lost her husband, two little girls lost their daddy, and a workplace lost a beloved employee.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 1:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Boortz is a required taste. Lots of my liberal friends are shocked that i even listen to the guy, but as much as he pisses me of...he still brings up valid, honest points & opinions. I have learned a lot listening to his show. BUT, there are times when i have to turn him off...lol.

It's a real bummer. I saw it on the news today. My prayers are with him & his family.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• RIP Marshall..God rest your soul

That is sad just 43 yrs old

I like Boortz
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have never heard of him... but I am sorry that his assistant has passed.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We don't get him here but thats sad. So young.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Boortz was on the air earlier and for a moment, I thought he was going to have to hang up because he was crying. He was obviously heartbroken and even said that he shouldn't be on the air. But he was able to pull himself together and share some thoughts.
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• This is sad to hear. I consider myself to be a Boortz fan although there are times, like samurai said, that I've had to turn him off when he got to be too much. I think he's a good man, and his pain over losing someone so dear to him shows how big his heart is. It's terribly sad that Royal died at such a young age.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011