Well, it's been a while, now...the TSA forced another mom to xray her breast milk.

Against all policies...this woman was forced to put her breastmilk through the xray machine. Again, the agents became almost abusive.

When will this end?

http://bit.ly/hR0bu7

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think I'm understanding.  What does xraying breast milk actually do?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• devil

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's against the TSA's own policy to Xray breast milk- it exposes it to radiation. Not something you want your baby drinking. Breast milk is classified as a medical liquid, which can be put through alternate screening.

The TSA refused and was borderline abusive to the blogger.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thanks OP for expounding on it.
    The human outcry isn't where it needs to be.. until then TSA abuses will continue.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• That is the craziest thing ever. I'm so glad I don't fly because this seems like sheer insanity. Of couse I want anyone to be safe while they're flying, but when the health of a baby is compormosed because of being required to Xray it, that goes beyond what's needed.
    bigguysmama

Answer by bigguysmama at 2:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• This is ridiculous. They should have learned something from that first PR disaster. But no, they're still power tripping against innocent travellers.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I know that I sound stupid but what is the TSA?  And okay, I get the xraying part of it, thanks for explaining that.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q2951.html

I guess it is because the experts have said it has no effect on the milk to x-ray it or your breast. I guess the TSA reads the reports and decides the concern has no basis. You will have to find experts that say it does have an effect and then prove it to get it to change. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• When I brought formula through they never xray it. They just hold a stick above it to test for any fumes that may rise from the "liquid". Xray doesnt make sense.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Jesse, the fact remains it is still in their own regulations that breastmilk can be "alternately screened" without use of xray and they are refusing to follow this regulation.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 3:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011